My point was that my last Ironman is 8 years behind me and given the state of my knees, there probably isn’t going to be another one.
I ride my bike because I enjoy riding my bike, not because I’m training for anything
![]()
My point was that my last Ironman is 8 years behind me and given the state of my knees, there probably isn’t going to be another one.
I ride my bike because I enjoy riding my bike, not because I’m training for anything
![]()
Oh yeah totally. I only have a PM because it’s a legacy of triathlon. Helpful for Zwift too!
Likewise. I think power meters are good for monitoring progress long term, whilst removing changeable factors between seasons: clothing, weather, different tyres, wheels etc. Not really something I’d be focussed on on a shorter ride eg less that 3hrs, when you can get away with blasting up hills. However, for 5-6hr hilly rides, where you’ll suffer at the end if you go off too hard on the first few hills, it helps to cap your effort and help with pacing to make the last hour or two of the ride more pleasant.
me too . frame won’t accept anything more than 23mm FGS.
![]()
I’m overly emotional on this matter, and I know it’s a bit light hearted, but I get really angry about this kind of technology in Triathlon.
The reason being is that in June, I did my first Ironman in Austria. I finished in 14 hours which I was happy with, as I am not fast, not competitive and simply wanted to get round and feel good.
As I got deeper into training, I realised I would have to change my trusty Asics Superblast as they’re too high in stack height, at over 40mm. Although it’s unlikely to be noticed, I didn’t want my year to depend on this, and also the stress of just worrying about it.
So I painstakenly went through about 4-5 different shoes trying to find some which matched, as well as try to hunt through the hudnreds of models online which don’t make it clear how high they are.
…
Anyway, my whole point is this… they make these stupid rules for everyone about stack height, but it’s ok for pros or those inclined, to ride around on £20,000 bikes, £5000 of aero equipment etc…
Whilst I am doing a run/walk in the dark just wanting to finish.
Those two things seem unrelated to me. One is a rule and one is a choice, if you can afford it, and if you are not breaking any aero/box/fairing rules. ![]()
Yea agree, it is a choice and fair enough in that respect. If I do another full or maybe half, I will likely look into a full TT bike as I am keen to get a bit faster and take it a bit more competitively.
It’s just frustrating that my choice of shoes are banned when they’re not particularly special or unusual.
When searching for other alternatives, there are so many over the 40mm, so it’s not as if they’re really that extreme either.
The rules are there to create a level playing field for all athletes - irrespective of experience - otherwise what’s the point??
World Triathlon use World Athletics rules in shoes; use UCI rules for bikes and FINA for swim. There’s nothing to stop age groupers buying the same kit as pros as long as they are approved for use.
Ironman are a law unto themselves and are more lax with tech
You can check what shoes are legal or not - and bear in mind there are some “development” shoes which are usually limited to Pros and are not allowed without prior approval until they are approved.
Praise the lord, my shoes are approved. World domination awaits.
Hi Tech Silver Shadows?
![]()
![]()
you can still go sub 10
For a Half defintiely.
Coffee came out of holes that it was not meant reading that.
You can still buy them…!
I’m a bit tempted.
Was that the other half’s of fruity’s ![]()
Still have mine. Bought in 2019 I think? Certainly when I was at Voda and I left there early 2020.
They were for road ‘A’ races, just at the time I switched to ultras.
Been amazing value in that context ![]()
yep…my longest lasting shoe…
bought for all the races i was gonna do…
Similar, still got my original 4%’s and in good condition, although my next% have been used a lot more.