Fasting

Sounds like you have a parasite; I’d consult a doctor.

Stingy on the beans and particularly the cheese :-1:

2 Likes

In fairness that’s half the can of beans, I wolfed the other half cold while the spud was in the microwave. Isn’t that normal?

You and @Poet and @mw22 need to get a cheese appreciation thread going I reckon

2 Likes

That was a perfect athletes meal.

In perfect proportions.

There very young …

1 Like

Thankyou :grinning:

Anyone else hungry again?

1 Like

No crispy skin. Hmm.

1 Like

Now @Jorgan who are you talking about- not @Mungo2 surely? I moisturise daily with spf30 and avoid the strong sun.

The spuds were quite crispy last night when cooked in the oven for 90 minutes but not so crispy today when reheated in microwave for 2 mins.

Sorry that this promising thread has stopped being about fasting and started being about spuds and cheese. :roll_eyes: :grinning:

2 Likes

Too many threads!
I made an enormous cauliflower cheese side for our supper this evening after all of the cheese talk
Roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts and the abomination that is Linda McCartney sausages :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Look, let the beans go (tho the wife wants to know why you’ve got beans when you’ve got salad??)

It’s just … the pathetic quantity. You must be out of cheese by the time you’ve skimmed off the first layer of potato?

You should have trouble first few fork fulls breaking through the cheese barrier and actually getting any spud.
Then as the cheese scatters you’ll be looking at a nice 50% ratio up to and including the skin which has melted down anything on the plate and stuck to the underside.

Eagerly awaiting my next spud now!

1 Like

I used to have a Linda McCartney cycling jersey.

May I recommend a cheese layer between the potato and the beans. Then another on top.

My cheese of choice for this is a mix of roughly 3:1 cheddar/parmesan.

5 Likes

Like your style @The_Iain.

Thinking about starting to do some regular weekly fasting. In the past I’ve skipped breakfast but wanting to dig more into the details. Any decent online articles?

There’s a bit of the science here.

2 Likes

My wife started doing 16:8 fasting, she had an app which gave her rewards like a day off after something like 5 consecutive days. I didn’t know and asked why all of a sudden are we eating earlier when she told me. I was about 12kg heavier than pre-covid (my mum kept baking cakes, which I kept eating and substantially less exercise) and never really liked the idea of a calorie counting diet so thought I would give it a go, which is easier when your other half is already doing it. I mistakenly started doing 18:6 but have managed to keep it up but I do have days off for random reasons and have lost 6kg in 2 months, which is apparently a sensible rate to loose weight. I’m hoping for another 6kg over next 2 months to at least get back to where I was when I last did an ironman (I’m mid-pack on a very good day), as I’ve got Copenhagen in August. I eat same as previous (Western diet) and do cram a bit really, but it has stopped me having snacks. I understand exercising while fasted will teach your body to burn fat and you have to get used to being hungry, which I am managing. Black coffee and water isn’t my idea of fun drinking but again I’m managing. Will be getting some big rides in soon (I’ve coped ok with 80-100km rides so far) but think the propper fasting will become more hit and miss. I do miss the snacks in the evening and breakfast in the morning and if it gets around 1pm with an hour to go (if we’ve eaten late the night before at 8pm) then that last hour can be a bit grim. The goal of not having to carry the equivalent of 12 bags of sugar around on the marathon is what’s giving me the most motivation. I think I could keep it up but might drop down to the 16:8 as that’s a lot nicer a window of eating opportunity.
Thanks, I’ll listen to that podcast and see if it gives me any more insight.

11 Likes

Thanks for the link. I keep starting it when I go to bed but fall asleep after 10 mins!

I’ve been fasting about 16 hours each week. Gentle run commute (5km) but I’m really light headed in the morning. Do you get used to it? (Not sure it makes me work productive!)

Ok so in comparison, my once a week 16:8 fasting is a pretty rubbish! When you’ve done a 80-100km ride, are you going out in the morning, before you’ve eaten? I’m not sure I could handle that.

that’s me on both counts…sadly i’m at the 75kg end at the moment…

2 Likes

Yes riding before food but towards the end of the ride if im starting to bonk or we stop for a coffee then ill eat so probably 16 hrs fasted on a ride day. You do get used to it but it is easy to fall off the waggon. As i mentioned before its the best sort of diet that has actually worked for me as i can eat normal (healthy large plate full, i like my food) and no worrying about calories.

1 Like