First ever tri

This popped up on my Facebook memories this morning. 9 years ago, my first ever tri - London Olympic distance.

I hadn’t swam that far since school, had never biked that far in my life and only really ran in team sports (outside of school).

I stayed with friends in London and borrowed a bike from one of their mates. I didn’t even know how the gears worked, we had to ring the owner of the bike on the day of the event “you what? You push the brake lever in towards the bike?!”. I was looking for the shifters on the down tube, as that was my only experience of a road bike!

Riding here with trainers and a camelbak! :joy: I’d just been on holiday to borneo for 3 weeks and genuinely had no idea if I could finish, what seemed like an utterly crazy event. Can’t remember the time, but it was about 3 hours.

Little did I know…

10 Likes

Given all that - fair play getting down on the aero bars!

London tri was also my first, one year later than you in 2011, although I thought an Oly was insane mainly due to the swim distance so did the sprint on my commuter hybrid. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

2 Likes

All things considered your setup looks better than a few I’ve seen posted on here in the past! :joy:

2 Likes

Nice. Mine was 10 years ago last April.

Didn’t have a clue. Swam 400m for the first time in my life (that I can remember) to start, in about 11 minutes. Beat the water to a foam in the first 75m, then it was a case of resting and regaining breath after each length.

Cold sunny day, remember running across frosty grass to T1. Hared out of T1 only to be told by marshalls my sunnies were on upside down.

For some reason I assumed I had to go back to my racking and rerack my bike to sort. Then I tried undoing my helmet…with gloves on…several times, before the thought ‘take your gloves off’ occurred…all that to just take my sunnies off and put them back the right way up. I’ve no idea what I was thinking.

Think the rest was (relatively) ok. A great day, lol.

2 Likes

Mine was the Jordans Bedford Mini Tri in 2006, couldn’t swim front crawl so glad it was only 200m but it was in the river and was completely covered in duckweed! That’s me at the back!
Bedford
Found my times on my old blog! :smiley:

200m/15km/3.3km - 7:29/31:19/16:02, Total 54:49, 30/100 (8/21 AG)

3 Likes

Fowey River Triathlon 1985

2 Likes

Colwyn bay 91…? Or was it 90…
How time flies…

1 Like

The lovely Wensleydale in 2007 - hated the shock of the Semer water cold swim (1st ever outdoor Lake swim ooooooops), so swam breastroke penultimate out of the water.

Being a fell runner and cyclist the next bits were quite nice as I had all bar 1 of the competitors to pass. Didn’t manage to pass all of them, but had a great time and ended up with a fairly good placing for a first tri. It helped me with my confidence for second tri, that lovely old Ben Nevis MTB/Cross tri. The rest is history.

1 Like