First ever tri

Looks like a windy day there at Dorney?

Ah - notice the box! I remember seeing people with these at my first tri and assumed it was a good idea, so did that for my second tri. Took about 30s of trying to wheel my bike to registration with a stupid box on the top tube to realize what a dumb idea this was.

Maybe someone should design one that slots over the top tube.
Reckon that would go down a storm on here :wink:

5 Likes

1999 BRW Sydney corporate tri. Did an extra lap on the bike.

It needs a really snappy name…

1 Like

I guess it’s like a container for multisport use, maybe lotsofsportscontainer?

2 Likes

A local tri-a-tri, around 4 years ago.

Pool based swim and, coming from a really strong swim/water polo background clocked up the fastest swim on the day…

… then came the bike. I learnt how to use clipless pedals about 3 weeks before, and was horrifically slow throughout. Being in the last swim wave also meant I just got overtaken by the 5 people I’d just beaten. Cue a long, lonely bike ride.

Then, a 2.5k run in about 8 minutes meant I finished 3rd overall. Absolutely loved it (cycling is still crap, mind).

1 Like

It was windy. And I think I was inspired to take a box to a later tri. Which was dumb. I may even have done it twice. Which was dumberer. I’ve never admitted to that on here before. A weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

4 Likes

I reckon…

SwimmingAndBikingAndRunning Crate.

So SABAR Crate for short.

1 Like

How dare you… :slight_smile:

Hours of fun on TT with that particular topic…

2 Likes

Arborfield Triathlon in 1989. It was a sort of Olympic-ish distance, but with a 800m pool swim.

I did that one year …!?

Army set up…?!

Strange distances ?

IIRC it used the pool on the base but not sure if it was organised by them or by a club, but there were army people taking part.

Yep the race results were all
Fred Bloggs Engineers
Mark Smith. Signals

I’d left the mob at that stage but I think it was the Army champs?

A long time ago but I think the bike was fast…!?

I did it on my newly purchased(secondhand) Raleigh Equipe. I was no cyclist, being an 800 metre runner who fancied doing something different. I think I must have entered it by post from the race calendar in the back of 220 magazine. Kept my finisher’s tee-shirt for years, until it finally disintegrated.

Trying to find my results …?!

There in a brief case somewhere ?!

I bet that hurt …!?

Warwickshire sprint in early 2007, was the first time in my life I’d swum as far as 400m, managed to overtake a fair few on the run though

3 Likes

Mine was the first Outlaw half in 2013.

@Leigh195 had been truly bitten by the tri bug and it rubbed off massively on me. The Brownlees success in 2012 too.

I had done a few running events in the years before - Great South Run and run to the beat around Greenwich. Had been cycling for a while and could cover 50/60 miles easily enough. The swim was the issue (still is) Had zero experience swimming. I had one lesson and slowly built up to the required 76 lengths of the local pool to see me up and down the HPP lake.

The day itself went about as well as it could have. Had zero open water experience and got a bit stressed with goggles steaming up and getting swum over. Ended up doing a front crawl - breast stroke combo. Got out of the lake in 46:** - Elated to have survived!

Bike was awesome - spent the whole ride overtaking people caught and slapped Leigh’s arse on the gravel road back to T2. Leigh was then kind enough to jog around with me to the finish.

The rest is history :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Just outside the top 5!

Beaten by a pensioner too!

Still can’t remember a great deal about it …!?!

2 Likes

Not just any pensioner! Did you get beaten by sir cliff??

3 Likes