Free Speed or expensive snake oil?

I have used a Snugg since I can remember, £30 off eBay, fit was pretty good probably not optimum tho, but was a great suit easy on and off, no help for zipping up, some worn areas but nothing that some black witch and a cut up inner tube didn’t cover! Unfortunately she bit the dust when I ripped one leg off the suit just below the knee in transition last time out.
Would like to say the suit wouldn’t stretch over my massive legs but it was just old and perished…which also describes my legs!

I tried 2 of the gel’s today at my 70.3 (and a sachet of 320 on the bike), was surprised how thick the gel’s were but like you say not gloopy at all like other gel’s and actually easy to stomach, tried to wash them done with a bit of water at the aid stations.

Probably only for A races at that cost but might get some for Hamburg.

Jeff

1 Like

Bulkpowders usually have a sale on 2-3 times a month with up to 45% off so your 5kg of dextrose could be £8 - plus they do cashback through topcashback.

They used to do their own electrolyte tabs as well

Any difference from replacing bike tyres for race even if not fully worn out and putting same model tyres on? Have GP 4000s ii on as seem to be good value/combination of speed and durability. Given that I will spend money on new tyres at some point, is buying new tyres now and using only for race truly free speed/grip? Or just unnecessary faff and waste of space trying to store the new tyres after race for negligible difference?

Unless your current tyres are badly ‘squared off’ then there is no point changing. A thicker tread = more rolling resistance.

I just bought some GP5000’s today. Mainly for etape and Nice. They had a conti display at Elsinore this weekend, and I was fairly stunned about how much grippier the 5000s appeared to be, yet they claim lower crr. I’m such an unconfident descender, I’ll take all the extra grip I can get!

2 Likes

I think (according to Josh the Silca guy actually) you will loose more in aero than you ever gain in rolling resistance from sub optimal tyre. Optimal being about 50 miles or so to remove the excess mouldings.

3000km on current tyres, so unlikely any actual benefit then?

Yes, that’s what I meant by a tyre being squared off. All new(ish) tyres being equal in shape and aerodynamics, the one with less rubber tread on it has less Crr and should be theoretically faster overall.

The 4000RS is a faster version of the 4000Sii, by virtue of being thinner/lighter. Externally they are identical.

My tt bike is being serviced for IMUK, I’m on holiday
Which tyres did you change from?
Plus one for the grip, I hate fast tech downhills and like you the extra grip would be most welcome…!
Do t care about the price, but are they sausage skin picture magnets?!?

Puncture even
Don’t care about pictures or looks!

I have the GP4000ii on almost all my wheels. The 5000s seemed a noticeable step up in grip just by feel.

Here’s a review: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/tyres/continentals-grand-prix-5000-tubeless-tyre-14-years-making
The 4000s were always considered the ideal compromise between speed and puncture protection … the 5000 is apparently even more puncture proof. And according to aerocoach, they’re noticeably “faster” … 23mm clinchers are more than 4w faster than the equivalent 4000s, with 25mm apparently even faster again

Thanks… a lot

I can only get 23 mm on my Argon 18 so that’s an easy choice.
See if Paul Hewitt can do me a deal…

Again must appreciated…

No probs. Havent actually ridden them yet though. They’re on order!

Read two reviews …
I’ll ride them 50 miles hard 8 days out then hope for the best on the big day.

Is there an issue with getting them ?

I have to agree with stenard, put hte GP5000s on before the White Rose Classic and they’re excellent. TBH I don’t remember the 4000ii being a pain to put on but the 5000s where but worth the effort.

Arrived this morning. Was anticipating a struggle based on the above, but they were way easier to get on than even “used” (/stretched) 4000s. Had both wheels swapped over within 10mins. The hardest bit was getting the old front tyre off as it seemed to have partially fused to the rim(!) and getting the initial side of the new tyres on the rim, as being brand new and folded, it kept worming its way off part way around. The normally tricky final 15cm though was a breeze

2 Likes

Always a bit of luck on this I reckon. On my Fulcrums getting gatorskins on is a nightmare but on my shimano wheels they’re no problem. :man_shrugging:

For ref, managed to get 2 tyres and 2 tubes, in a bundle, from vanilla bikes for £76 with a freely available 5% off discount code. Ordered Thursday, dispatched Monday, failed post office delivery yesterday, collected from the post office first thing this morning.

Would be interested to know if a better deal is out there. Depending on how they go on these shallow rims for the Etape, I’ll probably consider swapping over on my race wheels too. Better grip, and lower crr, is a worthwhile upgrade for that kind of money!

Butyl or latex?