Free Speed or expensive snake oil?

^^ My Protein.

The H5 Tropical tabs are gert lush.

I like the new mojito ones!

1 Like

Are Lidl doing them yet? :joy:

Incidentally, Home Bargains has a pretty good sports nutrition section; albeit mainly for gym rats. I get my BCAAs & pre-workout ‘igniter’ there (only used before threshold sessions or at 5am!)

So what do we think is faster. £550 custom Snugg or £575 BS Helix???

I have the answer.

1 Like

Snugg???

Correct. It’s all in the fit.

I was straight on the phone to them when I got home, to see if they could tart mine up & turn it around before Hamburg :smile:

1 Like

Was your Snugg that much when you bought it?
Or is that the current cost?

If you’ve had yours that long and they’re still under £600, it makes the Huub ones look ridiculously overpriced (with their longevity issues)

I paid about £380 tax free (2008) when I was serving in Germany. It’s been back twice for some tweaks/mods, like I got the newer diffusion chest panel (just to be a la mode :wink:). I also got a big white zip baffle put in, so I could write my name/details on it in permanent marker. But yeah, it’s cost less than £550 over 11 years for a custom suit :sunglasses:

I love that it’s made in the UK, not some anonymous sweatshop. You can phone up and speak to the guy who’ll make it.

Interesting, I liked my 2 Helix. Will try and see if the Roka helps when I actually get it out of the box.

GB, there was a big thread on the old forum about custom drinks, I’ve not tried tailwind, I have used Vitargo though and that was quite nice but you need to be careful with the mix or it can get sickly. I’ve also tried UCAN which seemed good, but I think unless you commit to it longer term (and boy is it expensive) then I think you get diminishing returns. e.g. your body needs to accustom to it somewhat.

Jeff

Ideal for Poet :joy:

To replace the Dunlop tape that’s been on my base bar for the last 5-6 years. Way better value than Lizard Skins and the like!

1 Like

I don’t use bar tape :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Or gloves.

Just skateboard grip tape and calloused hands

Rather than clog-up the 113 thread with more talk of ceramic bearings & chain lubes. Has anyone read the Velolab chain lube article?

Basically, cooking-up a batch of Molten Speed Wax is only 0.10w better than Squirt lube. So make your own mind up if it’s worth the hassle…

1 Like

I’m not sure either of those can be googled from a work computer though…

3 Likes

Link? Google doesnt reveal anything obvious

http://www.lillylube.com/uploads/Link_to_Velo_Article.pdf

I also use smoove wax lube which is good on the MTB as well

The problem with any wet lube is being sure the lube makes it to the pins, if you can get by without cleaning the chain & keep reapplying Squirt then you are probably ok but just liberally applying Squirt after cleaning the chain is probably not going to cut it. I’ve seen chains trashed in short order with Squirt.
A lot of good info on this site:

Someone posted a link to some large heat shrink tube on ebay on the old site, I bought some & it does a neat job for replacing the tape on your aero bars.
Ebay:30mm Non Slip Heat Shrink Tubing Textured Grip Fish Rod Racket Sleeve Handle

Haha. I think I’ll go with Del Papa extra virgin olive oil then.

I’ve used Squirt on all my bikes for the last couple of years, re-applying frequently. Stays really clean with a rub-down with an old cotton t-shirt, re-apply to inner and outer side-plates whilst pedalling backwards, leave a while and it runs silently for the next 50 miles or so. Mostly dry riding. I’m guessing the lack of noise means it’s penetrated well…

With 10sp mtb I used to remove/bathe the chain all the time. I transferred that practice to 10sp road bike, but haven’t bothered with 11sp and its non-reusable links (which coincides with me discovering Squirt).

Hi Jeff, I have tried the gels, 160 and 320 mixes. Really liked the gels as they’re thicker but not gloopy so less mess. More like a soft jelly than gooey gels. The 160 mix was good, no taste just very slightly sweet water no stomach issues with either. I don’t like the 320 mix, initially tried it in a 500ml bottle but it was way too sweet, moved it to a 750ml and it still wasn’t pleasant. I found I was putting off drinking as it was just too sweet. No stomach issues with any of it. I have bought a load of gels and will get more of the 160 mix for the Outlaw.