Garmin questions

It kinda lasts ok but the warming doesn’t disappear. I don’t think its a temperature issue. Probably time for a new battery… seems a waste to ditch the whole watch.

Does it completely lose its charge, you mention the indicator says low battery does it die shortly after? That sort of behaviour normally indicates a battery that’s had it.

Be warned replacing the battery is not easy in that and I suspect it will no longer be waterproof afterwards either.

For example yesterday did a 2.5hr ride, before going out watch shows over 50% ish. 20 mins in and the low battery warning goes off. Battery then lasts until almost the end of the ride 2hrs later. Its annoying as I have no idea how much battery is actually left? Hard reset or just knackered battery?

Yeah I saw changing it doesn’t seem like it will be waterproof after.

Swim pace: when i swim i just leave my Garmin 945 running, i dont pause or stop it during swim. I do the same with my Form Goggles. Garmin is much slower to respond to breaks. Also, if break is less than 10s, it tends not to register it at all.

Yesterday, Form said i swam at 1:44/100m Garmin at 1:49

For me its not an issue as seeing pace is each length or set is most important, however, interesting that there is so much difference

1 Like

Its worth doing a hard reset. You will lose your data off the watch but it should all be on Garmin Connect. The only way of knowing if the battery is truly gone is to check its resistance, but that means dismantling the watch and breaking the waterproof seal.

2 years isnt a great amount of time for it to be completely FUBAR’d but it does depend on how many discharge/recharge cycles its been through.

1 Like
2 Likes

Think my FR935 could be on the way out after 4 years of trusty service….

…. Noticed the last few weeks swimming has been off. Comically inaccurate.

1 Like

Charged the night before, then went on my long ride starting in the morning and it lasted a total of 6.5 hours before totally dying. Not great…

That’s not good is it. Its advertised as 14 hours on GPS mode and DC Rainmaker tested it at 15 new.

My Fenix is 3 years old and I havent noticed significant drop in performance on that so it sounds like youve been pretty unlucky with that one

Does the Barometer still work? My current 935 I got in Mar 20 as a warranty replacement for a broken Baro. The only reason it still works I suspect, is because I’ve hardly swum at all!

Hmm…just went on the online Garmin chat and got asked 3 questions, serial number, how long the battery was lasting and if I was in the UK and looks like I am being offered a free replacement. Seemed almost too easy.

7 Likes

Garmin are generally really good with warranty/customer service.

Interesting. When I was googling for the advertised battery life I did see a thread on Garmin forums of a few people having the same issue

I think I will be getting a ‘Recertified Device’ in return which I presume is a refurbed unit. A support article on their website suggests they expect battery life to remain at at least 80% ‘for a few years’ mine is clearly off that.

1 Like

I have two refurbed units, that I bought as they were massively cheaper. Both have been completely fine

1 Like

God no, that went years ago.

I’ve had 4 years of daily use and only replaced the strap once. It’s done me well.

That said, can’t seem to find a Fenix 7 anywhere to look at in person.

1 Like

Just got a new 935xt, pleased so far, be better when I’m fully over Covid and actually able to train and use it properly!

Anyway, have any of you downloaded any Widgets, Apps or Faces from Connect IQ that you would recommend?

Old watch posted 30th March, replacement due tomorrow. Happy with that turn around and especially as its over 2 years old and all FOC.

1 Like

Not a question, but the Strength app on the Fenix 5 is funny thing. I dont think my form varies that much but sometimes it guess the exercise and counts the reps pretty well. Other days it just goes bat shit. Today i did squats, military press, dead lift. 3 warm up set. 5 main sets. 5 reps.

First 15 sets it thought i was doing bench press, despite not actually counting any reps on half them. Then it got deadlift right for 2 sets, but wrong reps. Last set it thought I was doing a triceps extension.

Guess I should programme the actual workout in and it will have a better go.

2 Likes

It seems like a big ask for a watch to recognise strength exercises. If I think about Squats, Bench Press and Military Press, what does the watch see? Your hand going up and down in a pretty straight line with not really any change in orientation, I’m not sure how it would tell these apart.

2 Likes