Garmin questions

Well yeah that was kinda my point. Sometimes it manages it perfectly and others its all over the place. It obviously expects a certain patern of movement and tries to match what you do to its predefined patterns

Its that same the swim stroke detection. All done by the accelerometer.

It just made me chuckle that it detected 0 reps but was certain it was a bench press.

Im going to programme a workout in and see if it knowing what you are doing counts reps more accurately. Its not an issue at the minute as i record progress in the Stronglifts app which is really good.

2 Likes

I (very) occasionally do a length of Butterfly and my Garmin has never correctly identified it - I’d love to blame the Garmin but I suspect it says more about my technique :hot_face:

5 Likes

My fenix 6S always gets my stroke right and almost always guesses the strength workout - but then my form is perfect.

:rofl:

1 Like

Any settings tips for improving battery life when recording rides? Change to just GPS and not have GPS+GLONASS etc?

Yeah that’s deffo one.

smart recording rather than 1 sec.

Turn off any backlights, alerts, vibrations etc.

Out of interest, what device are you using to need to seek battery extending tips? There are lots of things you can do, but I’m surprised you’d need to.

What else are you connecting it to? My understanding is things like a power meter will override any selection of smart recording setting anyway (for good reason).

The only battery life challenges I’ve had in the past 5 years or so, was an Edge 520 with a varia radar. That was a massive battery suck. They fixed that with the 530

Forerunner 735XT. The previous ones battery started to give issues on some of my longer rides, 7+hours, have meant its gone flat. Just thought it was worth asking if there are any obvious settings that should be changed to maximise battery life.

3 Likes

Best thing to maxise the overall battery life is how you charge it. Keeping it between 30 and 70% charge most of the time as going from 30 to 70 is a half cycle. 0 to 100 is a full cycle and its the number of cycles that has the impact on long term life.

Top it up to 95% if you need a long GPS track.

1 Like

Ah, ok, yeah, that was only ever meant for 12ish hours from memory. And so with deterioration over time it probably will begin to struggle. Do you have stuff like the back light turned off when riding?

Anyone know how to navigate to an address on a Fenix 6 or perhaps edge 520+?

The navigate menu on my watch is really unhelpful.

You can’t enter addresses on anything other than the 8xx or 10xx series from memory.

If you know the location point you want to get to, I think it’s pretty easy now on the mobile app just to create a custom course from the two points you want to navigate between and it’ll fill in the in between using their popularity mapping data

1 Like

Ok. Shame it can’t use addresses.

Also doesn’t seem to grasp the Greenwich foot tunnel as a viable option.

Is anyone tempted with a Fenix 7?

I certainly am, quite difficult to track down though. Seems Wiggle has hid them at the back of the website and, if found, only have the top models.

Anyone else having problems with Zwift uploading to Garmin? Did a work out a few hours ago and it appeared on TrainingPeaks and Strava immediately but not showing in Garmin

This is what happened to my 935. I kept it going by putting vaseline around the buttons. Chlorine attacks the seals on the buttons. It was OK if I didn’t press any buttons while swimming, but if I pressed the lap button it would crash or get really inaccurate.

My Daughter is now using my 935 and it is still working fine… she doesn’t swim much

3 Likes

Also, not everyone knows but you should never press a button underwater.

2 Likes

I’ve done that with every Garmin I’ve had and never had a problem :person_shrugging:
Would kind of defeat the point in accurately tracking interval splits if I had to press it above the water at the start and end each time.

2 Likes

That’s weird. I knew someone who was doing that and the watch went wrong. When they spoke to garmin they said they wouldnt fix it because the buttons shouldn’t be pressed underwater.

But I’ve just checked the manual for my Fenix 5 and no where in there does it say you shouldn’t do that.

My 235 and my son’s 235 both died after use in the water. The buttons started working intermittently, and then stopped working altogether.

Same as Stenard, I’ve always pressed the buttons under water on all of my Garmins and never had an issue. So far. I should probably create a placeholder post on the rant thread for the inevitable.

2 Likes