Garmin questions

Yes sometimes I have to remind myself that ‘it doesn’t matter you did the training’. Maybe I should just go back to written training logs - much easier to flick through :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’m moving in this direction (in principle, not in reality :rofl:) more and more. Especially further to the deatiled stuff in the TR thread with all the talk of CTL and all that jazz.

I think that’s what is part of the (still growing) appeal of trail/ultra running for me. I have a orugh plan that means i cover a rough amount of distance over a week/month and with an appropriate amount of elevation and intensity. But not to get too tied down to specifics.

i do still like looking at the graphs and charts and strava etc etc. But i am weaning myself off a reliance on them and I certainly don’t let it stress me when i’m not hitting pre planned targets etc as i had done in the past.

2 Likes

I’m not on Strava (never have been) and I don’t link my 935 to anything other than a private locked GC account on my phone.

Even then my workouts are not in one place because I never use my Garmin on Zwift, so all my Zwift workouts exist only in Zwift. (they don’t auto upload to anywhere).

The only place everything is collated is in a manual XLS that I have to remember to update each week. (I include strength in that). I used to add up just the total hours each week but this year added an extra column for run kms as well as time.

Ive only had the 935 since March last year, before that, everything was done with a Tiimex IM watch. Training, racing, TT, IM, everything was on RPE. Didn’t die and still managed win a few bike races!

Went swimming this morning and nearly binned it off because I didn’t have a watch (I’m too blind to see the pool clock). Caught myself on and just got it done, but there is no doubt recording everything gives me accountability, even if it’s just me who sees it. Having said that, I sketch out my training plans in excel as it’s still the easiest tool to enter and edit data quickly. I just have an R, Cy or Sw followed by duration or a session description (Cy120, Sw10x200) and I can move things around to keep the high intensity or the long durations apart.

Anyway, watch is back now - 3 day turn-around. No freebies this time and it’s got the default fluorescent strap on it, so good job I have a spare black strap to swap out. Has anybody tried the QuickFit straps? Not sure I’d trust it in a swim and don’t fancy changing the screw-on straps all the time.

FatPom certainly has a point there. I recently had to poke myself in the ribs when I was about to cut a training ride short because my Garmin was out of battery. D’uh.

1 Like

Have you tried using training peaks? While i used to do things on pen and paper, TP really works for me, in particular the ability to copy past workout/day and slot it in. You can also design workouts (not swim, but run and bike) and load to a watch/garmin/… - again, super useful from my perspective and keeps you motivated…

Yes I have tried TP, although I’ve only had a limited play with the paid version that lets you drag & drop sessions around the calendar. I can see it makes sense if you are getting sessions from a coach and you need the detail explanation of the session. But I find any online platform slow to respond and difficult to navigate compared to an excel spreadsheet. And my description of sessions to myself does not go any deeper than “6x800” because I already know what me warm-up / cool down is and what my rest period is and target pace.

Anyone got some suggestions on a new strap for a Fenix 5? Not getting on with the standard rubber strap. It’s a bit sweaty.

Thinking of the nylon nato style on maybe. Are the cheapish ones in Amazon any good. The genuine Garmin ones are mucho denirio, but dont want to put a 500 quid watch on a strap that will break.

My genuine Fenix one broke, the similar amazon one for 5 quid has been completely fine, but it’s same style so no good if you want something different.

I’ve tried the nylon straps before but they got really stinky after exercising in them. You can scrub them but they never really come clean and soon start stinking again. I am a big sweater so may not be such an issue for others.

The display on my 735 has started to show a sort of a cross-hatch pattern in the background from time to time. Is this a sign that my screen is about to die? :astonished:

The watch was a Christmas present in 2017, so getting towards the end of the 2-year warranty period. Time to send it back before the warranty runs out?

My 920 is now showing me cruising at 20000 ft. Is there a way to bring it back down to earth myself or do I need to send it off to Garmin for a fix?

Amazingly the internet was relatively unhelpful

Common problem. You need to throughly wash the hole where the barometer is, usually one the back somewhere. Not sure exactly in the 920.

Might need to gently tease any gunk out with a paper clip but be careful.

It might take a couple of washes to get it cleaned. My 910 took a few.

If that doesn’t fix it then sent it to Garmin.

Right then, advice sought…

I have managed to scratch my 935 moving house (entirely my fault). The scratch is superficial and I can still swim, gym and run with no issues.

I’ve taken the watch to a few jewelers who won’t touch it. After a bit of research I’ve bought some ‘Polywatch’ that has reduced the scratch slightly, however it’s still there…

As mentioned above, as it’s superficial I have to remind myself it’s not the end of the world; however Garmin will replace it for £100+ with a refurbished model.

Any idea a) how to get rid of the scratch and b) thoughts on trading it in?

I know your pain, which is why the first thing I do when I buy a new watch or phone now,is slap a screen protector on it.

Ref the 920 Barometer issue - I could never remedy mine, so sold it for £100.

To some poor sod who now has to put up with it?

I wouldn’t care about the altimeter on my watch. Not if it was sold as such. Clearly buying new you’d expect everything to work though.

Maybe when I got my first one I cared, as that was my only device, but the only time I care about elevation is when cycling, and I have my bike computer for that now. You can “fix” elevation after the activity on basically all platforms.

Garmin have updated the pool swim on watches to include wrist based HR. However, my 735xt has the field for HR, but no reading? Wrist HR works fine on everything else.
Any ideas?
:man_shrugging:

Cos you’re in London innit! :wink: :joy:

Fair point. Didn’t think about trail running!

1 Like