Garmin questions

That was the article I was referring to

Vectors was a hardware issue (batteries?) There is a bit of a culture problem in the tech industry once they started releasing products where the consumer could perform software updates, suddenly software bugs were easy/cheap to fix. The hardware issues are the expensive ones, that leave the customer with no product while it is sorted.

But it creates a culture of releasing before testing is complete. Garmin’s large user base is also a problem, they will have far more different use cases than the smaller brands, who can target a particular demographic and ensure they validate for their main customer base. I would disagree slightly with DCR, people shy away from Garmin not necessarily because they have had a bad personal experience, but because they hear about the bad experience of other users – especially early adopters. And because Garmin has more customers, they have more complainers.

That’s not to say there isn’t a problem. Marketing timelines dictate a new product must be shipped on time, or $$$ will be lost. The pressure to ship with immature software is huge. After all “it’s only software”.

Yeah, but I find Garmin products not to be very robust either; it’s not just the software. Barometers & HRMs dying after <year is fairly common.

Is it ?

I’ve had one failure on an old 205 in 2005 and thats it. My good experience cancels yours out so its really that the majority reflect and not one or two individuals.

Garmin is still in business so on balance, given the competitive nature of their market, the balance would suggest they are fine and the silent majority are quite happy with them. People don’t gp online to say how they have had no problems do they ?

1 Like

I’ve still got a Garmin Edge 500 with no issues.
Just the cable needs replacing (better life than an Apple cable!)
The Forerunner 735XT I got second hand for under £100 works perfectly…bar the barometer.

I had a Suunto when I started up again, following a glowing DCR review.
IT. WAS. GARBAGE.
You could forget intervals or anything like that.

I’d like a cycling computer with Bluetooth to upload, but I’m fine just plugging it in.

I’m happy staying with Garmin

Pretty harsh to criticise a watch for something it doesnt have!!

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve bought a 735XT & 935 inside the last year. I wanted something with more battery life hence the 935. I did consider going back to Polar, but am essentially committed to the Garmin ecosystem & can’t be bothered to change - I suspect that’s the case for a lot of people. A bit like iOS vs Android I guess. How many can be hassled with ‘ripping off the plaster’. The 920 barometer issue is well documented; but see above.

I have had a lot of HRM straps fail on me though; it could be that they are treated as consumables and built correspondingly.

I think thats a good point.

Mind you, I still use the same HRM from 2005 and I have only replaced the elasticated strap a couple of times.

But as a counter, as previously mentioned, I had problems with the 910, but nothing whatsoever with the 920.

On HR straps, I remember GrahamO calling me out for thinking I was talking about weight before, but on a comfort basis, I didnt like the all plastic one. But similarly, I think the new one’s are rubbish. Having the pod affixed to the strap is ridiculous. I’ve gone through loads of straps with my pod versions, and replacing a strap is a simple case of a £10 new one from amazon. The pods are pretty indestructible. That my HRM-tri strap is beginning to fray and detach at one of the seams is a concern, as if I can’t fix it, that’s an entire fully functioning pod that goes in the bin.

Moving away from a pod design was a backwards step. But from Garmin’s perspective, they’ve effectively turned them into something you do now need to replace. They weren’t getting any money from me for my cheap, chinese strap replacement from amazon. It’s why I resolutely save the HRM-tri for races.

Yes as you say I am in the ecosystem and cant be bothered to change. The only problems I have had are my barometer on the 910XT went wandering but it did have a Lazarus moment and come back and was fine ever since. Occasional 810 wont upload a ride but a restart solves that. I think the most annoying thing I had with 910 was the inability to get the bloody workout to sync. Endless errors, that did my head in and were it not for the new ones using BT to sync (Which usually works ok) I would have binned them off.

The Connect app and website are pretty good. Have had a couple of HRMs die but after 2-3 years.

I have never been an early adopter though so I guess when I come to them most of the big stuff is sorted already.

I have a edge 500 and 520, forerunner 410 and fenix 5 and have not had an issue with any of them. maybe lucky, or maybe like the silent majority.

1 Like

Currently use an Edge 1000, FR235 and occasionally the 910 still. Previously had a 305 and another Edge although I forget the specific model. Only issues I have had is the Barometer on 910 and Live track on Edge 1000.

I aqlso have a Suunto watch and its a POS to use, but unfortunately seems bombproof so I cannot replace it unless it does - which it never does :frowning:

Funny. My Edge 800 is 7 years old and still going strong.

Vectors - had 2 pairs of 2s, both went back with broken pods. Now on 3s for about a year and a bit, got sent new capsules for batteries twice, did not help, and as of tomorrow they are going back en masse for a wholesale replacement with a brand new unit. Will report back!

It’s a 920XT :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:
That’s how much I care about the model :rofl:

1 Like

I got one of the first 920’s and had no problems with it, or most of the Garmin’s I had before that. Although I do know people who have had the barometer problem, not that it would really bother me.

Always had fairly decent service out of them as well, and pretty much got a 1000 free, got a 705 repaired when it had a problem, the new\reconditioned one was faulty and by the time I returned it they had no more as it had been end of life for a few years. But it was still in the 3 month warranty for a replacement so I complained and they sent me a 1000 :slight_smile:

TBH, I really like the connect web interface, probably more than Strava, but obviously Strava is useful to see some routes etc.

Jeff

Whilst I’ve had P1 for 3.5 years without a single issue. Wouldn’t touch vectors.

1 Like

910xt used consistently >5x a week, including HRM. Barometer a bit inaccurate (~+20%) but otherwise both working well enough

I have a 935 and have been happy with it. The elevation is off sometimes but is ok after a good clean and I don’t sweat it that much. You still climbed the hills no matter what your watch says!
One thing I’d like to know is refresh rates on average pace. If I walk up a hill slowly and then start running, how long does your device take to display your proper speed? Mine seems to take a good couple of minutes.

Wahoo Tickr - plus it’s half the price.

1 Like