Helvellyn

@JeffB - Sorry to ask you a couple of questions on different threads…

…if anyone was to buy a pair of shoes for this race, what would you recommend?
I’ve been looking at the Inov8 range, but am a bit confused by which shoe is suited to what?!?
It seems the RocLite is for ROCKY Trails and is “lite”?

The Roclite G 315 GTX says it has the best grip on rocky terrain, but seems massively heavy at 315g, but has good cushioning.

The Roclite 275 is a bit cheaper and also lighter?!

The Roclite 290 is cheaper again and seems to be more a racing shoe?

Basically…the Peg Shield 36s I had had little grip on the rocky paths (my feet slipped many times) and I have ZERO confidence in the Wildhorse 5s, as they have zero grip on wet tarmac, let alone proper rocks (although they’re good in a bit of
mud and on basic trails)

I’m not @jeffb, but I found my trail shoes - Salomon Sense 2 - had plenty of grip on my recce. The problem with them was the fact that my heels must have had a bit of room to move around & this was going to cause a huge blister on each heel.

I’ve got 10-15mins grassy descents that I can run in training but nothing to replicate the long stony/hard-packed descent we’ll have at Helvellyn so I was unaware this was a problem.

For last weekends run & today’s I’ll be wearing Salomon Speedcross 4 which feel a bit more snugger at the heel & I’ll be running harder trails…repeatedly :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I just had a look at Pete Bland’s Inov-8 selection & the ridiculous amount of choice blew my wee mind.

I’ll deffo be running in my Speedcross 4. They don’t seem to do them anymore, but the Speedcross 5 seem to be an improvement according to reviews. Would it be worth calling up Salomon at Cheshire Oaks, seeing what they have in stock & popping along one evening?

1 Like

Got to say I’ve only had one pair of Inov8 about 12 years ago, the heel turned up and aggravated my Achilles so I’ve never had any since.

I was fine in the Trail 2’s the other week, but it was dry and I wasn’t smashing the descent, although wasn’t far off my PB. Also, I’ve done a bit of trail running etc. over the summer so my descending isn’t terrible.

It’s probably going to come down to conditions. If it’s wet a lot of trainers will struggle. The last few times I’ve used Speedcross, but I don’t think they are great when it’s wet on flags or tracks, muddy fields they aren’t bad. And I haven’t used my fellraisers yet.

For the worst fells I use my Walsh PB’s, they also tend to be good on wet ground, but they are a harsh ride on firm ground which is what most of the run is.

As Doonhammer says, you probably need them on properly, unlike a road race where you can get away with a looser fit. I’ve found my heel slips around as the foot goes to the front of the shoe and I’ve had some horrible open blisters, I’m tempted to put Vaseline on this year. Talc in your socks might help. Even though the awkward bit of the descent isn’t much more than 2k it can still cause a lot of friction.

2 Likes

Cheers both @jeffb and @Doonhamer
…no need to call Salomon!

Rishi’s deal has easily sold it to the family for Tuesday’s supper at Wagamama :ok_hand:t4::+1:t3::facepunch:t3:

(There’s also Nike, New Balance and ASICS to look at, too)

ETA: I cannot find less than a 5* review for the Speedcross 5 :scream:

Yes!
It’s mental!!!

I love running up and down the Edge, so the shoes will get used (I can also take the fields way to get there, so only do 2km on the road there and back)
I can then relegate the Wildhorse to sole dog walking duties.

I hate them. Does that level things up? (edit to add I had the 3s)

Best pair I’ve had lately have been dynafit feline Pro. Good on rocks (snowdonia and coast path) and decent enough on squelch. But nothing really handles proper slop very well other than something like a Walsh or a mudclaw.

2 Likes

On the entry list…

Will Clarke Riot Racing Club

Is that the Will Clark that even I’ve heard of?

2 Likes

Yeah i saw Skipper was baiting him into it.

2 Likes

Yup, been waiting for his name to pop-up, I saw on Facebook he said he was in :upside_down_face:
There are a few more names to go on there, too…

…not that we will get to see them, during the race, but this is going to be a quality day out!!!

2 Likes

Cheers @gingerbongo - why do all of these trail shoes look like a dogs dinner?
(I think the 4% are a lovely looking shoe, but not the Next% or AlphaFly)

Sorry a bit late replying …

Personally I think the run course is terrific, almost perfect in fact. But I also accept that I’m in a minority :slight_smile:
I was a bit brief on Strava and have forgotten some of what I wrote so will repeat it all.
The two critical things on the uphill are (1) don’t over-stride and (2) be as fast at the top as you are at the start. The pacing takes practice, just like pacing any event … the difference here is that you’re pacing for altitude and a variety of running styles (steps, fast and flat round the lake, scramble on Swirral Edge). I said on Strava you need to be able to run at HM pace round the Lake and I’ll stick with that, any faster you might not be in the best shape for the scramble and ridge.
The steps are a perfect effort regulator IMHO. They prevent overstriding and naturally lead to a power-walking approach - or light bouncing run if you prefer.
My mind is a bit hazy on the descent but I think the technical bit is coming off Helvellyn?? After that you’re on wide paths so just lean forward and fall down the hill :slight_smile:

I remember the first time I went down into Patterdale on a bike, I really was shitting myself. Practice again helps, or just come and do some of the single lane descents in NE Wales, it will seem quite wide and sensible after those.

One final point. In 2004 I cycled the whole of the Struggle and was a mess on the descent, I was so knackered. In 2005, I walked the last 100m and ran much better as a result. I would say it’s the toughest climb I’ve ever made it up without putting a foot down, although it was pre-compact days so might view it differently now.
My split was 2:08 IIRC. If you found The Struggle easy and did 2:06 last week, you need to seriously speed up on the rest of the course :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, I was just pottering around on the TT sections. Mainly freewheeled the A66, as there was a side wind that was making me poo my pants!!!

With a 39 inner ring and 25 up back I’d have found The Struggle hard, riding a 34-30 is a revelation! I’d have put a 32 on, but only have a short cage 10 speed mech.

Thanks once again for the advice!
My descending will never get better.
I have previously come off at 25-30mph on the flat which required a fortnight off work and I’ve seen someone come off at 50mph who was airlifted to hospital from The Roaches.
For a hobby, and a minute or two, it’s not worth it to me :+1:t3:

I’m a cautious descender too but have got more adept over the years.

I did the Coast to Coast a couple of years ago and was really nervous about coming off Hardknott / Wrynose after finding them both frightening when I did the Fred in 2006. Couldn’t believe how easy they both were compared to what I ride nowadays!

The road into Patterdale requires care but it’s quite wide really … although the dry stone walls add to the fear factor :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it’s dry I’m thinking about using some inov8 trailtalon if it’s wet some xtalons.

I was hoping to attach some tri bars to my venge but it’s a bit hacky to get satellite shifters at the end so I’m going to give it a miss. Running 50s on front and rear.

I’m going to cram in some big sessions this week and taper next week. I’ve not swum since April so hoping to book in 2 sessions to time 1500m. At this point I’m thinking my swim time could be a bit keen :grimacing:

4 Likes

Seems like he’s keen :smiley:

5 Likes

National Champs???
That’s not today - it’s chucking it down today all over the North West :sob::sob::sob:

Where’s he from Leicester?

Seen some panic training from his insta feed over the last few days. Hill reps and some quick running around Battersea park too

1 Like

That’s the wrong ridge! Hope it’s a claggy day and all the hotshots get lost :rofl:

6 Likes

Luffbra based now, isn’t he?
He asked on Facebook if two weeks would be enoug my training “to get round” :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like