Helvellyn

The HalfIronWar Cotswold one?
That was a good result for me, with loads of things going wrong too!!!

Naff at swimming in the pack- got proper scared.
Dropped nutrition, had to pick it up a lap later.
Saddle bag worked loose, had to stop to take it off and just shoved it down my top.
Took a tumble (see the pattern here?) coming out of T2 which took a while to recover from.

Like @jeffb said before, I’ll be pushing for a 4:10 somehow at Helvellyn…

…I was targeting LCBs time for Staffs 70.3, so maybe try to beat The Goss? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah. Good read!

I’m not going to shoot for a time as the run is a massive unknown for me. I’ve tried to incorporate some hills in the last few weeks but it’s pan flat running in Molesey. My legs definitely won’t be used to it!

2 Likes

Yeah, hills did nothing for me!
The run course is nuts.
@Cobbie gave me a few tips on Strava, so that, along with what @jeffb has said will get me some #Gainz

Just sticking my race wheels on the bike will get the savings I need there (wind/rain notwithstanding)

Swim is an unknown!!!

A good day for me will be around 4:20, depends on the swim and conditions of course. Hopefully 3:50 from T1 to the end, it’s what happens before that.

I put some tribars on the propel yesterday to try them and some hills but they’ll take some getting used to and I’m not sure they are a huge improvement on staying on the drops.

Now considering putting my compact on the TT with a big cassette at the back. Will make a final choice based on weather conditions, if it’s wet I’ll probably use the Propel with disc brakes, rather than the TT with no brakes!

1 Like

If it’s wet I’ll be on the road bike with alloy rim brakes :+1:t3:

Not got the luxury of choice as I pack up and leave next Friday morning. What I’ll have with is what I’ll have with me!

Not ridden my Hed Jets in the wet but I really like the brake surface on the rim - hopefully they’ll be alright :grimacing:

2 Likes

Problem is decisions, decisions the night before for me!
Wife goes mad at all of the faffing around downstairs

1 Like

I wouldn’t be too bothered about not getting hills to practise on. Obviously it would have helped you, but with only one - albeit a big 'un - up & down your legs won’t get the fatigue that you get from doing multiple short hills…they’re the courses I find most sapping.

2 Likes

The swim is going to be a strange one. With people going off every 5 seconds it will be about 30 mins til the last swimmers set off & there will already be 60 or so cyclists setting off…more if some only feel comfortable with one lap.

Long day for the marshalls :bowing_man:

wrt times @51 I’ll just be happy to get around :joy:

3 Likes

I think Skipper may just be stirring things up, but…

:grin:

4 Likes

Is Laithwaite racing again?
He’s done it a few times about a decade ago, too

1 Like

He had surgery on a detached hammy or something but it was a while back. Not sure if he’s raced since then?

I haven’t the foggiest. The only pros I know are the Brownlees, Skipper, LCB & The Goss & she’s no longer a pro.

I hadn’t even heard of that fella who won IMUK :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Foggarty…!

Brian … 60 tooth 1by on that course is just madness…

Bike monster… good ish at the other two…

Still can not negotiate stairs :cry::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::pouting_cat:
DNS on the TT today :sob:

8 Likes

Nicked from Fell Runners group, but apt :thinking: :rofl:

Sorry about the TT though.

7 Likes

PS, the cat is NOT referring to me :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Nah, it’s bucketing it down.
Only two hours spent cleaning the drivetrain, sanding brake blocks, swapping wheels, greasing the bottom bracket, taking the crankset apart to clean that and polishing the bike.
Then another 30 minutes this morning putting her back on the turbo.

Lovely waste of time

1 Like

Wait… what? What wizardry is this that I’d not been aware of before?

Removing the carbon build-up on the pads.
Just a very light sand (the blocks are bloody £15 each!)

Also, nail polish remover on the brake surface to remove any residue :+1:t3:

1 Like