Holiday Thread

@Hammerer had a few recommendations for Sardinia if I recall. I really fancied it, but wasn’t getting much vfm. Also Mrs GB doesn’t mind paying a few quid, but then she wants somewhere that looks like it cost a few quid in return. All the Sicily Sardinia type ones all seemed to have been decorated last in about 1963!

We have similar thoughts at the mo. I really fancied Skiathos. A few other Greek Isles seemed pretty good.

What about Portugal? Assume you can get away from the main touristy bits but still have stuff to do?

I bet Caribbean prices aren’t far off some of the European ones these days if you get a good deal.

Or somewhere like Zanzibar? Sri Lanka?

2 Likes

Better let Sri Lanka settle down first

4 Likes

Sri Lanka is fab but the country is a financial/political mess at the mo so maybe best avoided until they sort themselves out.

Tricky one this, prices have gone up dramatically, I doubt that anywhere will tick all the boxes.

Lanzarote for 2 adults in October is going to come close to 4k plus spending wad.

Thailand? Flights are pricey, hotels are cheap

1 Like

Yes good point. Forgot about that!

1 Like

take the kids to the Alps or Pyrenees - whichever country - as there’s loads to see and do and some great places to stay

Everything I’m looking at on TUI is >£1600pp for 4* or better, All Inclusive. Even for really blah destinations,

2 Likes

Nah - cost of flights blows these types of holidays out the water. I looked at Mexico and because it £1k pp to fly it makes them uneconomic even if the hotels are slightly cheaper.

1 Like

Yes to Lakes & Mountains; but the kids will want stuff other than ‘oudoorsy’ activities. They have to have a pool (indoor & out if it’s mountain resort) and really some entertainment in the evenings.

1 Like

My brother and his bird love Arco in the Dolomites - supposed to be super nice, chilled, mountains, lakes and lots of activity based outdoorsy action

Crete’s great. Went as a sprog and loved it. Dad hired an open topped jeep and we drove around all the sites …

Turkey? Ephesus all that jazz - anyone ever been to pamukkale. Istanbul etc

It’s really tricky isn’t it! Crazy money for sh!tholes.

2 Likes

Don’t fancy long haul; and I guess it could be pricey with fuel? SiL family went to Mexico this summer, and apparently after dinner the hotels were dead; nothing to do and even the bars/cafes had shut!

Did Portugal in 2015; very windy and the sea was frigid! Cheap to eat out though! (Villa just north of Ericera)

1 Like

Staycation day #1: Broadstairs

First thing to note his the utter absence of stress. Easy drive down, easy parking, on to the sandy beach and I’m thinking “why fly to Spain?”. Kids are entertained, wife is relaxing. Got some snacks and the price was so reasonable wife whispered “I think they’ve undercharged us!”.

We’re in a fairly busy bay but there’s several klicks of almost empty beach down the way

Sure we have a 90min drive home so no immaculate hotel to crash in, but this day is a win.

And there’s a lot of paddling to be had:

#trotterloversparadise

7 Likes

Arco - been. Great little pre Xmas Via Ferrata trip with friends back in 2003. Stayed in Riva :+1:
Crete - been. It was pretty shite imho. Stayed at the TUI Senatori Hotel near Hersonissos.

The trouble is that all the kids want, is a pool, local shops to blow pocket money on shite and some kids entertainment. We adults want something a bit more engaging.

I fear kids these days would rather watch people doing exciting stuff on the Internet, than physically do it themselves.

4 Likes

I’m the antithesis of poet. Absolutely love travel and adventure and try and get away a few times a year. I can honestly say I’ve never been anywhere that had zero redeeming features.

8 Likes

GTFO

4 Likes

Only €1250? where do sign up? Do you have a link for where you stayed out of interest?

Have you been to the Falkland Islands in winter yet? :rofl:

That said, at least a double G&T was literally pence on base.

5 Likes

https://www.mitsishotels.com/

I was looking for 9 nights not 14 so may be some of the difference

1 Like