Holiday Thread

Looks like a redeeming feature to me :wink:

2 Likes

No idea how you spend Ā£4k on a Lanza trip for two?..ā€¦ flights are Ā£150 each at most, and loads of decent accommodation on the island for under a grand a weekā€¦ even a car hire for an entire week is only a couple of hundred quidā€¦. you can eat out every meal, morning, noon and night, and still be miles under Ā£4kā€¦.I dunno, maybe my standards are lowā€¦ā€¦ :thinking:

6 Likes

Alcohol + Gym is most peoples memory of the place.

1 Like

Yeah, but weā€™re not allowed to do that anymore.

1 Like

Bruh, heā€™s a high roller. Probably 5* AI init.

1 Like

Joking aside, South Atlantic in winterā€¦ youā€™d have to pay meā€¦ :grinning:

Rhyl. Abergele.
Loads of ā€œengagementā€ for adults once the entertainment stops :joy:

Which hotel were you in?

So just thinking back to holidays with the kids. So excluding some long haul which are brilliant but expensive, these were all good. Iā€™ve ranked them by how much the kids enjoyed them

Portugal, booked Villa with Pool, sorted out car hire and flights ourselves. We were near a great water park and also the sea. Moorish villages. Great great holiday, will dig out more details and specifics if required.

France and specifically Dordogne. We did EuroCamping, we may have even broken up the drive with some days in the Loire Valley. I remember an amazing Bird of Prey show at Rocamadour

Menorca, nice for a week, sea walking lots of small villages to visit. People can be very sniffy about Menorca and Majorca. Just pick the quieter nicer bits

Crete, two centre holiday, West and Eat coast. Very enjoyable and interesting with some educational bits

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 Like

Yeah we did exactly the same with Portugal. But tbh for a 2 week summer holiday we donā€™t want self catering any more. A big part of the holiday for us, is the lack of domestic tasks!

2 Likes

Quite a few sites donā€™t seem to be offering 2023 yet; is that uncertainty about price inflation?

1 Like

Itā€™s 4 hotels all together, some nicer / more expensive than others with a tiny ā€˜water parkā€™ in the middle. A pool with three water slides.

This is the one on the highest cliff and so great views but further down to the beach.

1 Like

I still have PTSD from going there. Other than almost missing the connecting flight and having to be ferried across the tarmac with staff - the baggage collection at Zanzibar was a nightmare.

One medium sized room with one door in and out. Large partition in the middle with all the baggage handlers the other side along with ALL the bags from ALL the flights.
All passengers then have to filter into that room - try and get the attention of a handler; having already located where your bag(s) are - then direct them to said bags.
Once you finally get your bag - the smugness you have soon leaves your body when you realise you now need to get out of the room - past 200+ people with 2 suitcases despite the fact no-one can move.

It was truly horrific!!

Mint hotel tho!

2 Likes

Iā€™d suggest Colombia but it isnā€™t for everyone but Argentina can be good, lots to see and do. You may want to tell everyone youā€™re a cleaner though ( thatā€™s what I did!)

Happy to run my numbers with you.

Flights Ā£150? hah no chance Ā£800 in total, plus airport travel easily a grand

Hotel. Club La Santa as above, which everything that entails - Ā£2000

And we have not eaten anything at this point yet, so add in Ā£600 ish for that.

Then there is bike rental, instructor fees, t-shirts, kiss me quick hats etcā€¦

Like I said, close to 4K,

3 Likes

just lookedā€¦ sat to sat in Oct with Easyjet is Ā£160 per person for reasonable flight times at the moment from Gatwickā€¦ CLS is massively over priced IMOā€¦ nicer accommodation with much more in the way of facilities available elsewhere for half that priceā€¦ā€¦ take your own bike for Ā£50 or so on the flightā€¦ all the taxis will gladly handle bikes at the airportā€¦. it can be done for a lot less than Ā£4k!

Happy to show you my receiptsā€¦ā€¦.

1 Like

iā€™m not doubting thatā€™s what you paidā€¦. iā€™m simply pointing out that it can be done for a lot less without making massive compromises.

1 Like

No doubt that is true, but to travel to where we wanted to go on those dates that is what it needs to cost.

We live nowhere near Gatwick, so that adds significantly to our costs in fuel, parking or train fares.

1 Like