Ideas for increasing stride length

Is there a magic wand for this ? :grinning:

I’m 5’10 with an inside leg 32’’ @ 74kg.

Slow runs average 170 spm and stride 1.04m

Yesterday I did Clumber Parkrun in 21.30 @ 194spm and stride length 1.26m.

After 12 years of running, I’m keen to work on this and wonder if any of you have done similar and how you went about it. I’d love to get to the mid 1.30s :+1:

When you take a stride, land with your foot a bit further than you did before, and you’ll find your stride length has increased.

HTH

7 Likes

Plyometrics, there’s some drills you can try but like cadence it’s not easy.

Having long legs probably helps as well, but very difficult to do anything about that.

1 Like

FWIW, your mix of imperial and metric is slightly confusing me, but I think we are fairly similar in stature, I’m possibly a bit heavier but think height and inside leg are similar.

Anyway, at Blackpool 10k last week my stride length was 1.39m, that was a hard effort but about normal for me when running hard.

The Nike trainers might have helped a bit but I’m fairly sure it’s similar in other less springy shoes.

How do you increase stride length and avoid heel strike?

At the same cadence, if my calculations are correct , your 1.39m per stride versus my 1.26m puts you 25 metres up the road every minute :scream: (@194spm)

What do you hope to achieve by increasing it? Sounds like a receipe for heel strikes and bad form.

I’ve never been taught/learned running technique so others might be along to correct me, but intuition suggests this would make increasing stride length very difficult/impossible to do as a technique cue.

Instead I assume stride length is better gained over time from training to be able to produce more force - Intervals, strength work, plyometrics etc?

2 Likes

What’s wrong with heel striking?

What is the advantage of heel striking?

I never said it was better than anything else but there seems an idea that it should be avoided and I am wondering why that perception exists.

I want to be faster. I reckon I can only do that by increasing either cadence or stride length.My cadence looks there or thereabouts so it’s the stride length that would return bang for buck.

At 48 though that’s going to be difficult but I’m not prepared to accept my lot :rofl:

At risk of sounding facetious, I reckon the magic wand is to run faster.

Like you say, speed is a function of stride length and cadence. Which means that stride length is a function of speed and cadence. If you run faster, the maths magically increases your cadence and /or stride length without you having to think about it.

You already have a cadence that cartoon roadrunner would be jealous of, so I reckon the stride length would see the most increase.

Do you do intervals/ speedwork? What happens to your stride length at 16 , 17 or 18 kmh?

3 Likes

My cadence last week was 178, again that’s about normal for that pace\intensity, think it goes a bit faster on a 5K.

1 Like

Increase injury risk.

Heel Striking - Pros and Cons of How You Land When Running.

I’d suggest getting a s&c programme with stuff like squats and lunges. Over time you will then bounce a little higher and travel further, without having to heel strike.

That article states that it doesn’t reduce injury risk, it’s just the injury site changes.

Running drills, mobilisation drills, running form…

it would take me too long to write it out…but am happy to discuss…

Correct for the change from heel to fore and vice versa…but you have to do other things than just change the point of contact…

Why would you want that?

Up to a point it is…

There or thereabouts what exactly?

You can eke out extra distance per stride with poor biomechanical form…

Plenty, but it is not just about the point of contact…

It is easier using other cues, certainly…

Without changing other aspects of form, yes…

By doing drills and developing good form…

2 Likes

I’m 185cm inside leg 85cm @ 82kg.

Slow runs : 166spm, stride length 1.24m

parkrun 19:03 : 166spm, stride length 1.54m
10km 36:25 : 167spm, stride length 1.63m
HM 80:41 : 168spm, stride length 1.55m

I run on my toes, spring off them.
I imagine a string coming through my body and sort of out of my head and holding me up.
I also lean forwards.

Drills? Run downhill.
Increases stride length and cadence.

3 Likes