Ideas for the future of Ironman

Lock the thread!

NFL is the future of Ironman?

2 Likes

Okay, Poet’s getting cranky. Back on topic please :wink:

My idea is transparent pricing, none if this admin fee shite. They take a cut from that too, as Active pay them to be the online registration partner.

That, and cut entry prices by 20% :thinking::roll_eyes:

The transparent pricing is annoying - but is an industry issue I guess and not just IM.

Have just entered IM Lake Placid next year having not been in the sport for a few years - with fees, day license, and the current exchange rate it came to almost 700GBP! :flushed:

(Suddenly remembered why I hadn’t done long distance triathlon in a while, it may only be a brief return)

It’s really nice there though!

Very much looking forward to spending a few days there, as well as the race. Have you done the IM there?

On the subject of cost… this will be the first IM I have done since I met my wife 4 years ago, and she saw how much it was costing and couldnt believe it. I tried to suggest to her that price included the new bike I had recently purchased as well - it was worth a shot - but she didnt go for it unfortunately.

Better value for money to enter a race and do it, than pay to enter and not do it though! #zurich :wink::rofl:

Have I done the IM there? My one triathlon was a sprint in dutch canal! I’ve watched the triathlon there though and it’s a nice little town and a nice IM venue, at least it was 10 years ago or whatever when I was there.

1 Like

Haha. Fortunately I never entered Zurich a few years back. I did enter IMUK twice though and never make it to the start line :open_mouth:

Not directly related, but save wasting another thread, I am happy to report I have successfully retained my Silver loyalty status, otherwise known as AWA. I look forward to my keyring and sticker in due course.

In actual fact, with two full IM’s on the schedule this year, the preferential racking might actually be of assistance.

1 Like

Yes, the racking does come in handy.

I had a shocker at Hamburg and just about avoided coming last at Nice so I’m not expecting anything.

Jeff

Is this related to the priority registration emails I keep getting? Not opened them as definitely didn’t register for Washington, assumed similar glitch to Wales at first but have had about 3 races sent through now. What is AWA/any 4eal benefit? Saw the gold hats at Bolton but didn’t know what they meant.

Yeah, with AWA you get priority registration for basically every race globally. So if you don’t want the emails you need to amend your email subscription settings.

Benefits are those priority registrations, which can be handy for popular races, low bib numbers (which means you normally get better racking spots in transition), and occasionally some other perks depending on the race, like an Elite/AWA transition entry point, which can be good if there’s a queue on racking day.

Then you have stupid things like the swim hat, and AWA marked on your bib number, which are purely for show. I haven’t worn one of the hats before. Oh, and you are allowed to spend loads of money buying colour coded AWA gear, like a gold/silver/bronze trisuit. Yippee!

You get to stand at the front at the swim start at Lanza, so a load of faster swimmers can swim over you before the first buoy :rofl:

4 Likes

Might come in useful for Staffs if Saturday and split transition becomes a faff.

The outbreak of Covid-19 has massive implications for WSG.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hobbled-virus-china-wanda-5-040846335.html

This article is 10 days old, and a lot has happened over the past 10 days

In 2020 WSG needs to refinance $5.7bn of debt. Given that its business interests are focused on Sports events, Cinema’s, theme parks etc, it is massively exposed to Corona Virus.

Share price of WSG has fallen from $5.24 to $2.13, investors must be considering whether it is even a going concern.

No body knows what the effect of Corona Virus will be on Ironman events this year, however, I would not be surprised to see 50% of events being cancelled. There may be a fire sale of WSG assets, potentially Ironman could be sold off very cheaply.

Shall I set-up another PayPal drive? We’ll need to beat Slowtwitch off though.

6 Likes

Join forces with ST? :grinning:

Can you imagine! I think the swim cut-offs/standards might change :crazy_face:

We’d have to change the dress code rules too, in order to allow holsters.

3 Likes

Speedos, manbra, drop holster :ok_hand:

2 Likes