Ideas for the future of Ironman

might discourage drafting… :flushed:

Now if IMJ were to buy it…

1 Like

You’d probably get Mike Reilly saying "You are an absolute legend" at the finish.

People under 40 seem to have forgotten what a legend actually means. Much like ‘literally’.

C-19 dominating the imj pages currently :roll_eyes: those guys need to get a grip

nice comfy beds, with a freshly laundered duvet at each feed station for a soothing nap…

Would I just be losing brain cells and time if I joined back up to watch the meltdown?

IMJ is a touch boring at the moment, pretty obsessed with refunds. Apparently if they don’t get them, they will put IM out of business within 3 months :zzz:

Not worth it, its just tedious

I see more potential on ST at the moment.

Yes. Don’t do it. Had look whilst having a cup of tea this morning. Instantly regretted it.

I think that email from Ironman yesterday was the most positive thing they’ve done in years

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I thought the IM approach was fairly balanced. Automatic entitlement to deferral for the rearranged date or the following year, and case by case assistance if that doesnt work for you, including for those who’s races go ahead but can’t travel from their home location. Pretty generous of them.

What is interesting is with insurance. What happens if you have race cancellation insurance, and the race is cancelled but you get free entry to the following year. Can you still claim?!

What IMJ are you looking at?
The IMUK one is fine - talk of meeting up for recces, stretching, nutrition, etc.

Along with the inane like: “I bought my first bike in October, signed up for IMUK, I can’t swim and have done a single 30 mile loop of the course at 12mph…should I buy a disc wheel?”

1 Like

The whinging one, which is full of reposts from fake doctor’s accounts of what is happening in Italy

:rofl::rofl: - so much of that!!

There is a ‘general’ The Ironman Journey group isn’t there? Presume that’s the one you mean, and the one I went on a couple of times over the years.

Thats the one. Just had a look, utterly boring

The PTO best get their chequebooks ready then. They wanted to buy WTC didn’t they!!!

In the current climate, who would give them the funds?

Don’t they have some charitable benefactor now? Surely it’s not a profit making organisation now, yet they’re spilling millions into this Collins Cup stuff.

I’ve not looked into it, so i don’t know the magnitude of funding involved here. But if someone has the right contact somewhere - look at Super League. I know they have an aggressive commercial model, but they were lucky to have gotten this massive Middle Eastern funding pot to get going in the first place. I’m no financial expert in any way or form. Just setting out some lay observations here ready to be shot down by those more learned folk.

Yes the PTO currently have a wealthy benefactor. But, this $5m or whatever they have for the Collins Cup looks like a short-sighted parochial affair, limiting it to the top-ranked pros of each gender. Nothing in it to grow the sport or help young or journeyman pros. It just looks like a small group of ‘big’ names in triathlon, looking after themselves. The race format doesn’t even look interesting either.

The whole thing is a bit of a joke imho.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree on that front. They ‘changed’ it a bit to give a really token amount to the top 20-50 i think from memory. Like $2k or something. We’ll that isn’t going to last very long!