IM Austria 23!

Any ideas on how booked up Austria IM gets? How quickly does it sell out?
Cheers

1 Like

Well, it used to be minutes; but I don’t think that’s the case for any of them nowadays. You will at least get an idea by the various Tiers selling out. I wouldn’t hang around though, It’s a great event btw!

as @Jorgan says, it used to sell out in minutes - certainly did when I did it in 2007

Did you have to telegram the money over back then? :wink:

1 Like

we sent a saddlebag of schillings by Pony Express :grin:

4 Likes

Here’s some info I found for you for when IM Austria sells out.
2016 - 4 days
2017 - 48 hours
2018 - 24 hours
2019 - less than a week

Hope this gives you some idea! It doesn’t sell out in minutes anymore, but you don’t have long to think about it either!

4 Likes

Had the Entries are open for IMA yesterday

Did you enter , OP?

After you’ve got your entry the next immediate task is to book accommodation. If you leave it for a few months you’ll find every residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area is booked. Although the campsite on the lake takes a little longer to book up.

2 Likes

The campsite is also very good and very convenient for the race - you can walk straight to the race start from your pitch within a few minutes.

2 Likes

And it avoids the traffic and parking chaos on race day.

1 Like

I think in the days when it sold out in minutes you had much less choice for races in Europe. If you wanted fast courses it was Austria, Frankfurt or Switzerland and if you wanted harder courses it was Lanza, UK or Nice.

When I raced there in 2006 there was something like 30 Tritalkers in the race. We had a big swim meet-up before the race briefing.

3 Likes

I was there with the Pirates in 2007 - we also had about 30 racing in yellow and black. We had a big piss up on day after race day :beer:. As was said at the time - Pirates were a drinking team with a triathlon problem. :grinning:

4 Likes

Same in 2009, although not that many TTers.

The number of IM events in Europe more than doubled; I wouldn’t be surprised if it starts tailing off a little now though. I don’t give Cork too many years.

1 Like

What Euro IMs were there in the mid 00s?

Austria
Frankfurt
Nice
UK
Lanza
CH

That about it? (Roth was Challenge)

Regensburg briefly or was that 2009/2010 sort of time?

2010-12 (I did 2011).

Possibly helps that it is both 70.3 and 140.6 on the same weekend, or is this year but it looks a royal pain to do if you’ve got supporters with you and you’re not one of the few staying in Youghal itself.

Got good numbers this year but then they’ve also got a lot of deferrals to fit in

1 Like

Crazy when you look at the euro calendar now:

Uk,
Wales,
Ireland,
Vitoria
Barcelona,
Cascais
Vichy,
Nice,
Thun,
Hamburg,
Frankfurt,
Copenhagen,
Kalmer,
Austria,
Tallinn,
Majorca,
Lanza,
Italy

And probably a few I can’t think of!

2 Likes

Majorca has died hasn’t it?

It used to be similar with the UK long distance events - I think that got to about 27 a few years ago, but a number have now fallen by the wayside, although others have come in.

There was a thread somewhere listing all the UK middle and long events - maybe on TT1.0??

4 Likes