IM Cascais, Portugal 2021

I see Roth are selling ‘off’ the Finisher shirts & medals to entrants. Do you have to send them proof you’ve done a DIY, or do you just get to buy them?! :sweat_smile:

I saw Keith Qualified in Tallinn, I think that he is the only one who has already KQ’ed as the others were focused on racing in Kona in 2019, then Corona hit and they didn’t get a chance to KQ this season.

He qualified in Argentina last year I think, should have been in Hawaii now.

I’m guessing Tallinn was also for 2021 places?

For 21 I think the best chance might be Finland or Cork.

Channel Swim? Easy to socially distance; just the conditions to worry about.

I did IM Austria for my 10th ( Roth was my 9th) it wasn’t the greatest of races on the day but the atmosphere was fantastic and I could put long course to bed (for a while) to focus on work as I was moving to a start up the following month.

Austria is the only one I’ve done twice; great event. Not done the new bike course, but the 2 different laps is a nice idea!

1 Like

Perhaps one day I will go back to Klagenfurt, IMUK (Sherborne x2 inc the last one held there and the 1st one held in Bolton) and Barcelona were the ones I returned to

I am in for Roth 21 and then age up to 55 the following year so might be on a similar trajectory. I would need to get some improvements, have a great day against a weak field and still need a roll down. Then find a shed load of cash…

1 Like

Its now mid October, Corona Virus is getting worse in Europe, however, Ironman Cascais hasn’t been cancelled yet.

Its getting very late for the authorities to cancel the event now

do I now book flights and hotel?

Mandatory quarantine on return is a bummer. In Switzerland quarantine means living in a separate room from the rest of the family for 10 days, and the police do come round, unnanounced to check. Failure to comply may result in forfeiture of residents permit and a £10,000 fine, so you don’t mess about

2 Likes

There’s surely cancellable hotels?
Are airlines still not giving you pretty decent flexibility on needing to cancel, and at the very least getting credit?

What Stenard said; as your travel insurance will probably be next-to-useless at the moment?

Strate of emergency act announced yesterday in Portugal… really on a knife edge

1 Like

I really hope the orgs make a decision soon. Far too many IM events have been cancelled too late this year

Edit @Matthew_Spooner we’re you originally signed up to Lanza then transferred to Nice then transferred to Cascais?

I’d probably give it a few more days if there’s be an emergency declared, I can’t see how they’d risk it.

My friends are in the same position.

I’ve now given up on a late entry to the 70.3.

1 Like

No I kept my Lanza Entry and defered to next year. I added Nice, which I then switched to Cascais when Nice was canned

1 Like

You’re a kite dancing in a hurricane Mr Spooner :rofl:

5 Likes

Entries are closed, so no mad last minute entry for me - thank God.

1 Like

My airbnb place in Cascais is free cancellation till the 23rd October. I had booked a 3 bedroom place as family where going to come and support but that isn’t happening now so potentially have space if anyone gets desperate. The fact Portugal have said meetings outside now limited to 5 I suspect will probably be the nail in the coffin for this event unfortunately :cry:

1 Like

Portugal alert level will be reviewed again on the 31st…so do we expect IM will leave it till the last possible minute?