IM Cascais, Portugal 2021

That is a big change that’s probably the deal breaker. The head of swimming at our club is Portuguese and her and her boyfriend headed back to the Sintra / Lisbon area mid lockdown. She’s been doing quite a lot of shorter distance tri’s that have been being run, so up to now I would have imagined they’d have found a way to make it work. But the kind of general restrictions you now mention probably put an end to all of that.

Postponed until October 21!

1 Like

Hardly a shock, a couple of friends were going.

Sad. As soon as the the Portuguese Govt announcement came through it was done. In hindsight they probably had more chance of it going ahead on the original date!

That is the great Irony of the whole thing… At the end of September would have been fine

1 Like

It’s like an Iron-man three weeks too late

Does anyone know of any bike rental places in or around Lisbon that rent out TT/Tri bikes rather than just road bikes, which is all my searches are coming up with? With the event coming up I’m trying to make some plans.

You could try FBR, they had a range of bikes for Copenhagen, some road and at least one Ventum TT bike, not sure how expensive they are though

Yeah FBR are Ironman event partners and come with the associated premium! Talking 250 euros!

ouch

Definitely ouch, for a week or just the race?

What’s the cost of a bike box and flying the bike over?

Minimum cost. I could take the bike but I am debating turning the whole thing into a bit of a holiday and doing some travelling about on a different bike which I was going to take instead. I thought being able to rent a fairly basic TT bike wouldn’t be that difficult or expensive.

Renting a decent road bike for your holiday might be the easier option, if you can store the TT somewhere once the race is over.

1 Like

Maybe they could do you a deal and swap the bike over part way through the week? So a few days TT a few days road?

Still haven’t decided what I’m doing bike wise…

In other news. Very glad I booked my flights a couple of weeks before they announced they recent travel restriction easing in the UK, my flights were £160 with BA and my bike. They are now £540 for the same times!

Portugal now accepting UK Covid passes. So worst case it will now only be day 2 PCR test when I’m back and thats it or they might have moved to lateral flow by the time I fly back :pray:

3 Likes

I probably need to think about this…done a quick google. I’m going to need to take a wetsuit for this aren’t I?

Also anyone else going?

1 Like

You’ll definitely need a wetsuit!!

Not going but it’s half term dates make it a good candidate for future racing.

Have a good race and enjoy the pasteis be nata!

Yep I’m in. Currently caught between busting a gut with excitement (as this will be my first IM since Barcelona in 2019) and also acutely paranoid that after avoiding it for 22 months I’ll get Covid in the next week scuppering a years worth of planning and preparation.
If I manage to avoid that Covid thing for the next few days the plan is that I’m going to go out late on Tuesday to prepare and then the family come out the day before the race. We then get to have a weeks holiday over half term after the race.
Really, really looking forward to go time. It’s felt like a very long season and build up but preparations have gone almost perfectly. I’m as fit as I’ve ever been and at nearly 45 I’ve even been settiing some PBs during the prep.
Looks like it’s just you and me @Sowler. What age group you in, when do you get there, how has your preparation been going and you got any goals / hopes for the race?

2 Likes

I’m just in for the 70.3. Age group wise, I’m 35. Arriving Thursday and staying for a week. Preparation has been lots of running as last weeks Manchester marathon was my A race. I haven’t swam in months or done anything meaningful on the bike. Goals for this are just enjoy it and get a decent run time.

Just a lateral flow needed when we get back too, now :raised_hands:

5 Likes