IM Lanzarote 2022

Folded up in the string bag and waiting for action sir!

2 Likes

it will be sunny & windy ,so wouldn,t worry about checking weather forecast :grin:
oh and slowwwwwwwwwww

1 Like

There are folks with disc wheels in that video :exploding_head:
Are they actually better in winds or is the science still out on that one?

I wouldn’t risk a disk at Lanza(even if I owned one) due to the cross winds
If you get a 45degree or less side wind the disc does act like a sail and push the rider along

3 Likes

Just had a look at Finishers Pix at last years race and not many at all have disc wheel on.

Got to say though bikes look dog shit compared to the ones with the disc wheels on. Maybe we could have the race at night so we wouldn’t be embarrassed about our bikes.

1 Like

Disc were explicitly banned in the first few times I raced at Lanza. The last time I was there I saw a few AGers on discs but I don’t think any of the pros were using them. Some of the pros didn’t even have deep section front wheels.

The depth of the front wheel is obviously most important when it comes to bike handling in the wind.

I suspect it’s probably a close thing between the aero benefits of a disc wheel vs the extra weight on the climbs on a “less windy” day.

I think the science says they are still the faster option, but the science doesn’t talk about handling. Sebi made some relevant comments on his YouTube run up to St George on this.

2 Likes

Sounds like what Mercedes are currently grappling with.
Data says one thing.
Drivers say another :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Numbers out now, gues it’s going to happen

3 Likes

Is it a week on Saturday?

2 Likes

Sure is, oh dear

4 Likes

Good luck :+1:

1 Like

shittttttttttttt panic mode just increased :swimming_man: :mountain_biking_man: :walking_man:

9 Likes

Fly out Sunday morning… cant wait :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Bike box key found, combination remembered, both well in advance of previous efforts, just need to remember which bit goes where to make it fit :nerd_face:

10 Likes

Shall we start a tracker list? We’re heading out Monday

814 Stephen Mott

6 Likes

The years I did it were definitely the hottest and the windiest and the biggest biff on the swim and the strongest currents and the hilliest hardest course and the roughest roads etc. etc…

…but I look forward to you all claiming different.

9 Likes

Biggest fish syndrome. It’s hilarious isn’t it? I do it too, can’t help it!

1 Like

Black dog as it’s known around here

Can safely say it’s much hotter and much more windy out here at the moment. Probably will be worse on race day compared to the years you did it. :grinning:

9 Likes