IM Lanzarote 2023

Wasn’t too bad really as it’s early on in the ride, even crappy me managed to do 90% on the tri bars, only one small section of 5%+ climbing and the feed station where I was off them.

3 Likes

Cool, So May 20th 2023, is that a half term date?

Apparently not @joex , at least in Dorset half term starts the next weekend 26th May

Surrey’s half term is the week later too

Buckinghamshire too. It’s as if the island wants to fill up with triathletes the week before the half-term families arrive.

1 Like

And as though most triathletes arent middle aged family men…!

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I can’t understand when they have a 1 lap swim now but whatever - I will practice using the force for sighting! Sounds like mirrored or dark swim goggles required swimming into the sun. I guess the Playa Blanca loop could be easy or hard depending on the wind. 12K up a climb into a headwind is why we do Lanza though isn’t it :grin: You just can’t beat the feeling of flying up hill into a headwind…

4 Likes

They use the “fake fire mountains” for that out and back now, don’t they? I’ve ridden that outward section loads of times and it’s always a block headwind, but at least when you get to the turn it’s super fast back with the tailwind and downhill.

The last time I raced there (2018) the out and back was from the Teguise roundabout down towards Famara. The wind was so strong on the outward leg that you had to pedal hard to make any progress downhill :open_mouth: It didn’t feel much better after the turn because you were riding uphill and the tailwind didn’t seem to be helping at all

2 Likes

Slunds about right, didn’t hear it called that by anyone though. We had the Famara one in '19 too, horrid time. What we’ve got now is slightly easier but really not wanted when you think you’re just taking a left and heading for the donkey track!

1 Like

The Club La Santa guys all refer to that road as the “fake fire mountains”.

The out and back is tough psychologically, especially if you’ve ridden the “classic” Lanza course in the past. You used to get to the top of Mirador del Rio and feel that you’ve broken the back of the ride - you were 120km in and on your way home. Now you get to the same point with about 100km on the clock and still a lot of riding to do.

3 Likes

Just thinking about dates, it’s a leap year in 2024, so the race will either be 18/05/24 or 25/05/24.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the race as early as 18 May, so 2024 could be a good year for a half term race if you can take the kids out of school a couple of days early to fly on the Thursday and register and rack on the Friday.

3 Likes

52nd birthday present for you :flushed::joy:

54th for me :expressionless::joy:

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ll be going back next year, but I do fancy going back in 2024.

I raced IM Lanza on my 40th birthday in 2012 :sunglasses:

5 Likes

good luck to all that have signed up for 2023 ,a few things have changed over recent years unfortunately IMHO not all for the better.
But it will still be the hottest & the windiest year next year so enjoy your day and watch out for the sharks on the swim

6 Likes

Does this race fill up or will I be ok to sign up in a month or so’s time?

1 Like

I’d expect it will still be open a month before the race?

4 Likes

Yeah, the only time I remember it selling out was when their licence was coming up for renewal and there were strong rumours that it would be the last M-dot race there.

Every other year they are still taking entries almost up to race day.

Obviously the price goes up the later you enter

3 Likes

Only about 1300 signed up this year, pretty sure they can handle near 2000, the far end of transition would be in Fuerteventura though

5 Likes

The first year I raced there (2008) they capped entries at 1000 and there was about 800 people racing on the day (and 75 Kona slots :open_mouth: ) . Transition was pretty long, but everything including the tents and bag racks still fitted on the road.

Over the next few times they increased the entry limit every year and eventually had to put the tents on the beach.

1 Like

They moved the finish line and brought the transition and tents back on to the pavement rather than the road or beach again this year

2 Likes