IM Schedule 2020 and KQ

Plus 1 for all of this!

Only 'cos Iā€™d watched the video and knew youā€™d been there a few times!
Make a good test subject for the data - unlike the Danish guys who all seem to have the same bloody names!
Thomas Andersen and Henrik Larsen being prime examples - even within the same age group and the same year - damn them!

1 Like

These are great links

Going back to the TT vs Road bike debate, comparing Daveā€™s time and mine is really interesting, my power was 8w high, but I was almost 5mins quicker. I think that we are pretty similar weight (I was around 73kg for Nice). Even if Dave put in those extra 8w, not sure it was worth 5mins

The Col de Vence, according to Strava segments, I was 40s quicker with 3W more power.

Overall it looks like a TT bike was no slower climbing than a road bike, but gained a lot on the flats and false flats

1 Like

But you nicked it from the guy in blue who overcooked the bike and died on the run

80kgā€™s bud, I can only dream of being 73 :joy:

If that is the case, then maybe the road bike was quicker on the climb

Matt, your Lanza plan sounds solid, the descents are fast and if you can hold your nerve when the cross winds come you will fly down and gain time on us scaredy cats!

Still have a small voice telling me I could do it as a fly in fly out gig.

Not quite on topic but Barcelona 19 has 3800 athletes :flushed:, 40 slots.

That is going to be a very busy course, some parts of the bike are pretty narrow and even if you donā€™t want to draft you canā€™t actually get past in places without crossing the line.

Jeff

1 Like

Just seen thatā€¦?!
Thatā€™s lots more than most other racesā€¦

Apart from the obvious answerā€¦! ā€¦ why?

Itā€™s the new IM business model, sweat each weekend as much as possible. 2,700 at 70.3 Weymouth. 5,000 at Italy 70.3/140.6 for the weekend.

1 Like

As discussed, company needs to increase profit margins. This makes sense as short term mrasure to increase revenue with similar costs. Risk for long term health of the brand though.

1 Like

Maximising the profits on the popular races.

As discussed regularly, itā€™s an easy sell to the Mrs, fast, easy course, plenty of local accommodation, cheap flights. Usually warm but not stupidly hot like any race Jorgan does :rofl:

What about Youghal? Think itā€™s still on tier 1, everyone that finishes will get a slot ATM.

Jeff

1 Like

In terms of single slot AGā€™s, one of the best things Iā€™ve seen in triathlon is when I was volunteering IMUK in T1 a few years ago and was talking to a 70-74 Canadian male when he was racking his bag, and an old chap for USA tapped him on the shoulder and said ā€œOh my what are you doing here, I came here to get away from you!ā€

They were in the same AG and had apparently competed against each other all over the world. They walked off chatting.

8 Likes

@jeffb do you need me to stick in an entry for Cork?

recording breaking temperatures in Cork this weekend, to be sureā€¦

1 Like

Just needs the Hamburg wind - bye bye draft packs!

Do you get the feeling Iā€™m weather jinxed? But Iā€™ve never been short-changed by a course, or the organisersā€¦ :wink:

Hmm, Youghal now onto tier 3, maybe people that missed out on Wales? Or got wind that Jorgan is bringing his heatwave.

M50 last year was very lame, I suspect thereā€™ll be a few more entries in that category next year.

Jeff

Who do I have to nosh to qualify? :japanese_goblin::smiling_imp:

7 Likes

can not beat a good nosh :rofl:

Aside from a bit of noshing I came across this blog today.
Benchmark levels for IM fitness. The granularity, including such things as your Z2 pace, is at a level that I havenā€™t seen before.

V. v. interesting to have it laid out.
(slightly annoying format, unless anyone can figure how to export the sheet or make it bigger so you donā€™t have to scroll to read it.)
It seems I am indeed front of the ā€˜recreational packā€™ when going well but most certainly not AG FOP, although my overall race times have generally been faster than the final number in the table.

https://alancouzens.com/blog/benchmarks.html

1 Like

Definitely shows my relative strengths. Iā€™m largely red for running, but frequently low green for anything to do with the bike. Swim is a bit weird. The z2/3 swim paces Iā€™m comfortably blue, yet when you get to the 400/1500/3000 times, they donā€™t seem to equate at all and Iā€™m only just scraping into green with, say, a 5.45 400.

Yet my total race times for a flat 70.3 / 140.6 both scrape into the red section