IRON JANUARY

Only 2018 clearly:

I’d likely be back as a shut-in, and 110kg’s soon after doing that for a month @joex !

7 Likes

My old runclub gave that a go as a lockdown motivator. Most broke at that 2-3 week mark as Fruity suggests.

My Mrs was sensible and scaled from the start and did 1–>7km X4, which was a really good way of getting in her biggest ever run volume and consistency without overdoing it

7 Likes

I think @ed_m did that challenge, but in miles?

So by the 26th day, he did a marathon, then carried on until a 31 mile run.

To me, it seems a injury prone “challenge” and one “The Internet” has invented for no particular reason.

8 Likes

Bit like Ironman then :wink:

5 Likes

Like the Rapha 500, or countless other challenges! :joy:

6 Likes

Not a whole lot of overuse risk in 500km of cycling.

Massive overuse risk in running almost 500miles in a month and 196miles in a week, off who knows what the months before.

3 Likes

No. But my point was that it’s still just a made up ‘challenge’ by a company to get their name out there.

A bit like any race! :joy:

1 Like

I did think that before hitting “Reply” …

… but the Festive 500 is rarely called the “Rapha Festive 500”. It also kickstarted my season massively and provided a real mental boost to me. I got a massive sense of achievement from doing just 440km.

If you watch the “origins story” then it was meant to be 1,000km :exploding_head::raised_hand:t5::stop_sign:

1 Like

I don’t have the run volume over he last year to trust thatt I am robust enough to take on a run every day challenge right now. I do enjoy that sort of thing and have done it before. Previously I have done it as 30 runs in 30 days, each run must be 30 mins to count and you can catch up with multiple runs in a day but separate runs.

6 Likes

Who is going to entertain us with late night drunken rambling. This could be the end of TT as we know it

7 Likes

Mogwai be good in January

1 Like

Dry January is a step too far

2 Likes

Bouncing back after an overuse injury - would have to be careful

However alcohol def impacts recovery, so improved diet and no booze would improve chances of completing the overall challenge.

3 Likes

Seeing as this chap managed this :point_down:

Then surely you’d hope some of us could do a mile a day, at the very least :point_up:

3 Likes

works at Sellafield…

probably nuclear fuelled…

3 Likes

I can’t keep up with this thread. Is there an actual challenge in here somewhere :grinning:

Dry January shouldn’t take too much focus, I think I had 3 alcoholic drinks all of last year. :wink:

2 Likes

I think you just need to log a run each day.

Not sure if there is a minimum distance or if you can double up for missing days!

1 Like

i think i had 3 non-alcoholic drinks all of last year…

6 Likes

As triathletes surely it should be train everyday anyway?

Running must be the worst of the three to be doing everyday, a real challenge would be swim everyday. I bet not a single TTer would complete that. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Rules are dry January

Optional extra for ‘Iron January’ - Log one mile - at the least - each day, can double up if you miss a day.

Probably a bit pointless but nonetheless a challenge

Good Luck!

4 Likes