Ironman Florida 2019

Watched the clip of Joe coming across the line. He looked spent, managed to put out an amazing performance.

Wowzers, I just caught up over 90mins on the trainer. What a performance from Skipper (and Hoffman).

Joe comes out of the water in 25th, bikes up to 3rd(?) behind Starky of all people, and blows it out of the water with a 2h39 run.

Just wow.:star_struck:

1 Like

He’s really joined the front rank of current IM athletes, and must be looking at a podium at Kona next year. Frodo is 38, O’Donnell 39, Lange is 33/34? There will be s changing of the guard in the next couple of years; Joe is still young (for IM) and improving year by year so should be in the mix.

3 Likes

He looked so strong on the bike and run. I kept thinking he’d be run down but he wasn’t having it.
What’s the story of his swim…is that his weakest element?

Yeah - I don’t think he was even swimming 8 odd years ago when he was posting on here whilst getting into triathlon during his Manchester Uni days.

He seems likes a solid chap and it’s been wonderful watching his journey from TT1.0 to now

2 Likes

Right, didn’t know that nor that he posted on here.
Seems a good guy and was delighted for him yesterday…hopefully he can steer clear of injuries and have another good season next year.

Seems like Joe’s bike has gone up a notch this year. His 12hr national tt performance was staggering and this power output is pretty insane. To then put in that run is quality.

Awesome to back up kona with this. Maybe he should do IM Italy before kona next year!

1 Like

Joe’s pretty local to me and still rocks up to cross country races, club and open TTs, local run races etc. He’s been largely self coached and trains with local lads.

I beleive he’s going to decamp to Loughborough just to find better squads, especially swim, to train with.

I think this will bring him on further, it’s noticable that many of the rop guys work in squads which he has only done with the odd training camp.

2 Likes

Yes, I think Joe learned a lot from his time on TT1.0, and has used that knowledge to put him where he is now.

What do you think? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That was Strava estimated power; I think his real figure was a tad over 300. Which is still obscene.

1 Like

Definitely. He wouldn’t be winning IMFL, or nudging that podium at Kona without our sage advice.

I think Joe should repay the favour with "An evening with Joe Skipper". I could see it ending up like the drinking ‘session’ in Lock Stock :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Maybe we can persuade Skipper back to TT2.0 to do an “AMA”

2 Likes

Yeah, when I was searching back through for some swim posts a month or so ago, it reminded me how active Joe used to be on there. I imagine @Rooster will have him on OA in the near future given this win, so maybe he could give him a nudge back this way.

He was certainly getting a lot of steer on his swim back on TT1.0 from the same people who are still active here now, and still providing us with advice, so it might be quite fun for him, as well as interesting for the rest of us to hear about what he’s done since.

1 Like

It’s interesting that his bike position is a lot higher at the front than most of the other pros noticeable at Kona and Florida. Doesn’t seem to be doing him any harm though!

Also a bit weird that he doesn’t get much credit for his running, for my money he is one of the most consistent runners on the circuit with a stack of sub 2:45s to his name

2 Likes

Apparently the quickest (IM branded) bike run ever. Just needs to knock a few mins off that swim!

1 Like

$20,000 at Florida and $16,000 at Kona, and yet he struggles with sponsorships. His deal with Endura just ended, and it was only a year or so ago he was riding without a bike sponsor. I hope he finally starts making some good money and getting the credit he is due!

2 Likes

I’d love to see him do regular training casts on YouTube, he’s got just a couple of clips up - I just subscribed taking his following to a massive 55…

1 Like

Over the same period the MIGHTY Lion has been mostly rubbish, with two complete failures in Kona and has landed a prime bike deal with Canyon!

3 Likes

But he’s all over social media like a rash. Shows what’s valued now :grimacing: