Ironman Florida 2019

I might have to start my own YouTube triathlon channel, there is a dearth of quality material out there; GTN, Triathlon Taren, Lionel…and the Brownlee’s pumpkin carving.

:neutral_face:

Any of you guys in media?

Maybe they can fit him so that his knees don’t stick out at right angles

1 Like

THIS.

Joe like a lot of us, isn’t massively into social media. Fine 20 years ago, as you just posed for some ad photos. But nowadays, it’s all about the Internet presence; that’s clearly why companies are happy to use wannabe amateurs as cheap influencers and product placers.

Can’t blame the companies, it’s a simple ROI calculation. Maybe now Joe has Kona sorted for next year he can focus a bit of energy on self promotion. A 12 month Kona diary would be an obvious starting point.

I always think it’s the unbranded athletes you want to look at. What do the guys that have to pay for kit actually spend their money on?

2 Likes

Reminds me of that 70.3 WC(?) when Crowie didn’t have a bike sponsor, he rode an unmarked P4 and it was a total vindication for Cervelo! I think literally the following week Specialized scooped him up and he was on the Shiv for his 3rd Kona win.

Joe is more likely to focus on getting wins in those big Championship IMs I reckon, he gets a free hit now without having to KQ.

He loves racing, and winning. He already sticks a lot out there on FB, YT, Strava,IG etc. It just doesn’t get the traction that the LION’s does because he’s going about his business professionally without an accompanying soap opera with occasional car crashes…

The LION admitted in one video he did workouts with a focus on the associated release of data/performance on media afterwards. Between the lines he was driven by his social media, not any actual performance effectiveness of the workout…can’t see Joe doing that.

Has anybody mentioned that Joe’s bike/run combo was the fastest ever at an Ironman event?
That is pretty damn special, it cannot be long until he absolutely nails it and steps onto that podium at Kona.

He hasn’t been on any development squad, or been at international level during his younger days, but has just consistently plugged away at it, with phenomenal results.

His run injury this year, which led to the 12hr TT, then to run like he is now?
WOW :open_mouth:

1 Like

here …

3 Likes

Advertising may be the root of all evil, but it’s a necessary evil that makes our economy function.

Athletic performance is a type of performance, and like any entertainer they need an audience - bigger the audience, bigger the rewards.

If the stars align and you can make millions by winning, fine, but I see nothing wrong with athletes being pragmatic and elevating their profile with social media.

Do you think Canyon went with Lionel to break into the US market?
They have Europe sorted with Frodo…

Good Morning :wave:t3:

Joe skipper is doing an interview with @Rooster for the OA podcast.
Questions to the Facebook post (I can’t link!) by lunchtime on Wednesday.

If you want me to ask any; just post them here and I’ll get them sent over.

3 Likes

Would be good to hear about his view on the swim at Florida and generally where he’s at with his swim at the moment.

1 Like

7th, 6th in Kona. What’s the plan to get on the podium?

1 Like

Just read this on his site, to get a bit about his background (pretty sure he was good at Concept2?)

Faris and Lange have just split up … fancy an opportunity to slide on in?!

Apparently Lange wants to some serious improvements and is awaiting his TT 2.0 registration to be confirmed.

7 Likes

I’m betting that Lange will drift away from the sport.

I also had a gut feel that he wouldn’t be ‘beaten’ at Kona but would find another way out.

Interesting - how come?

Gut feel. Don’t think he loves Ironman racing in the way Joe Skipper does, or Sebi does. His efforts outside Kona are half hearted at best, he’s not part of the band of brothers who are the mainstay of the circuit and he’s not liked.

He likes winning Kona obviously, but probably for what it brings more than the act of competing and winning in itself. He’s had a major life change (marriage), he’s split with his coach (not sure of reason, maybe not focussed/committed enough?), he probably knows deep down he’ll never beat a fit Frodo.

He won’t race on enjoying the process, and just competing to be the best he can be; I think if he doesn’t think he has a great chance of winning Kona there isn’t anything to keep him going.

All gut feel of course, just as likely I’m 109% wrong, he fired his coach and is about to reboot and throw everything at getting his title back…

1 Like

Chrissie changed coaches a few times!