Ironman Frankfurt - 2nd July 2023

I hope you like it hot :fire:

2 Likes

I think itā€™s my biggest weakness after my mass. We do these things, not because they are easyā€¦etc.

2 Likes

Done it 3 times and spectated 2 times and always hot. Never had a none wetsuit though

1 Like

WEAK :grin:

Itā€™s my only non-wetsuit tbh

1 Like

Yes weak is the word lol

2 Likes

0.2 degrees under this year

I thought Grease or Bird was the word?

2 Likes

hotter the better ,none of that cold shite & as for wetsuits its a form of cheating if you think about it :rofl:

3 Likes

WORD!

Itā€™s not an Ironman if you wear a wetsuit, or walk on the run. Can I split that over two events? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Okily dokily.

Does anyone know if the Frankfurt course is on roads that are normally open to cycling, and if the swim is swimmable outside of races?

On the old course a lot of it would be rideable outside of the race, but I think the first 15-20k was on a main road so unlikely, but from what I remember it was essentially a DC.

Fairly sure there was practice swims in the days before, but do you mean year round? I think it was some kind of venue for water sports but could be wrong as it was 6 years ago.

Yes you can swim in the Langener Waldsee. Youā€™ll need to buy a ticket online beforehand. Copied the link for you :blush:
https://www.langen.de/de/strandbad-langener-waldsee.html

For the bike, tri-mag made this video. Youā€™ll need subtitles. Frankfurt will have cycle paths and you can cycle on all roads except motorways and dual carriageways.

2 Likes

10hrs full race coverage from this years race. Might be good for having a look at the bike course
https://youtu.be/tGXkoUxyt08

1 Like

Watching the 2022 coverage now - transition looks long, but relatively flat start to the bike course. Climb about 20km in?

1 Like

Something like that.

Itā€™s a drag up, then a short flat then another drag.
Itā€™s worse second time round.

Cobbles bit is short and sharp.

They got rid of the last big climb

1 Like

Cheers.

My bike got battered with speed bumps and cobbles at Cascais, knocking the rear loose enough to rub the frame. Had tyre run at Lanza too. Want to avoid a third mechanical ruining my bike leg if possible.

Looks like the cobble section is mostly climbing? Slower would be better.

Yep.

90 degree left turn when you see the hay bales.
Then about 500m climbing up.

1 Like

Feel like I kind of know the course now. Visited Frankfurt a few years ago too, so mentally should be familiar on the run.

No luck losing the natural insulation so far so thatā€™s my next worry. Looks exposed too. Suncream on the backā€¦?

70% has no shade

3 Likes

8 weeks this Sunday.

However, itā€™s looking more likely that I will be a DNS

My glute medius has been playing up since late March and not really done much running in that time.

Feels like thereā€™s a rock in there and when I go to run or even sometime walking, thereā€™s a sharp pain.

This eases with a quick massage of the area until it gets tight again.

I get a similar sensation if Iā€™m standing around for ages, like when Iā€™m at cosplay events in my right side. That usually goes in a day.

This just wonā€™t shift no matter how much I stretch, massage, hot/cold etc

Cycling is ā€œokā€ but because the glutes are involved, itā€™s not really being rested as Iā€™m cycling more due to no running.

Physio tomorrow with a guy whoā€™s been able to fix me over the years, but even if magically Iā€™m running this weekend, it only gives me 6 weeks to get back up to peak running.

Iā€™ve had enough miserable IM marathons to know I donā€™t need another.

Can defer to next year.
Hotel is refundable.
All Iā€™d lose is Ā£175 for the Eurotunnel

16 Likes