Ironman fueling

what experience have people got with mixing the High5 powder with water in higher dosages than normal?

How much can you get in a bottle before it gets gloopy?

I’ve got an Xlab frame mount aero bottle that is 400ml and wonder if I can get 3hrs worth in there (9 or so scoops by the look of it)… not to drink in that density, but to decant a bit at a time into the BTA bottle…

If I also stick 3 scoops in my BTA Xlab Torpedo before the start, then I’ve got a full 4hrs covered. I’d need to get a full BTA bottle of water/carb mix down my neck each hour (can’t see why not, and in the worst case, just take a slug from the frame bottle)…add a few gels or something in pockets or a frame bag, and i’m sorted for the bike leg…

Just not sure how thick 9 scoops in 400ml would be… can’t be any worse than an armful of gels in there surely?!

Yes, I’d agree from personal experience that heat tends to reduce appetite for solids; especially if you’re ‘pushing on’. So diluted gels in a bottle makes sense…as does slowing down a little :upside_down_face:

I found that Nakd bakewell flavour bars work well as a pre-race snack. I used Tailwind nutrition (drink) on the bike, along with shot bloks, nakd bakewell bars and SIS electrolyte gels. All with water and all pre-cut for ease of opening. SIS gels and water on the run until the last 10k when a few gulps of coke helped…! Pacing the bike properly helps the body to be able to process the nutrition which avoids explosive disasters on the run…

I remember being met with some resistance on IMJ some years ago when I suggested an alternative to Tailwind. Literally it’s just a dextrose & sucrose (table sugar) and sea salt solution with flavouring. So you could buy a huge bag of dextrose from My Protein, and just add a H5 Zero (or similar) and have the same drink for ‘pennies’.

Non-GMO Dextrose (Glucose), Non-GMO Sucrose, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sea Salt, Organic Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate

My plan, although it was never executed was making the High 5 syrup. You mark a bottle in stages and then make a think syrup. The idea is you dump a dose in your aero bottle just before aid station then take grab water and fill it up. Blow down the straw to mix it.

I went for that for a couple of reasons. One it was Lanza so planning on drinking a fair bit. 2 it meant I didnt have to rely in on course nutrition but didnt have to carry a tonne of fluid either. Lastly on that course the water was given you in mineral water bottles not bidons so needed to empty and dump them anyway.

Downside is if that syrup bottle bounces out you lost your entire nutrition.

I added some energy bars too just for some variety.

Those of you who mentioned the beta fuel from SIS;
How big are the packets?
How easy does it mix?
I’m assuming you’re mixing more up mid-race.
Ta

Basically what I do. 75g dextrose & 2g pink salt to a 750ml bottle. Cheaper than chips.

Is there a map of the chip shops on the Bolton course? And what do you do if you get to Kona? there are absolutely no chip shops on that course!

1 Like

Sadly, none are actually on the course, but there’s a few just off it.
There is a pie shop or two on the route :wink:

3 Likes

That’s what the special need bag is for :grinning:

1 Like

I always liked Hammer and Infinit but both are a ball ache to get in UK.

Just seen that Ironman has selected Maurten as official nutrition provider. Great news for me

3 Likes

Just looked at Wiggle to get some to try…££££….£2.70 a gel…I’m gonna fill my pockets at IMUK

4 Likes

I must run around blind but I don’t remember gels being handed out at IM Wales or any other tri I’ve done IIRC?

Bought some last night.

There tasteless apparently ?

I know that Maurten works really well for me, but its so expensive that I only use it for events.

I’m the same. Only buy for races.

Is it just gels? Bottles of 320 mix etc would be nice just to dump in your bottle.

Last Mdot I did @FatPom i seem to remember kids handing them out at aid stations

haha must be me with my eyes shut!

Maurten are expensive. i wonder if it’s the same quality product you’ll be getting on course?

1 Like

Of what? Lateral flow tests?
Bolton won’t ever be allowed out of lockdown.
(And we’re probably better for it :speak_no_evil:)

2 Likes

Who knows, but I’m still training for it…

1 Like