Ironman Ireland Cork 2020-23

Boo!!!

Ironman WTC are a great company.
Such great customer service.

“Oh. You’ve had three punctures and it’s pissing down. Stand here for an hour until you’re allowed to collect your bike”

Can I get some pizza?

“Fuck no. You didn’t finish that race. That’s for finishers only.”

Oh. Okay. Can I get a refund for Staffs after deferring twice?

“Fuck no. That’s our money. You can’t have it back. And you can’t defer again. And here’s the shittest dry bag ever seen. And a few leaflets.”

Awesome. Such great value. Thanks benevolent one. Where’s the pizza now I’ve finished?

“Fuck no. It’s only a 70.3. Go to Boots and get a meal deal”

Oh. Okay. Thanks for the advice.

Gotta love ‘em!

9 Likes

Hold on! Hold on!

There’s a violin around here somewhere, hold on!

Tiny thing, it is. Ah got it!

Resume your rant, I’m ready now. :violin:

4 Likes

I think Poet just wants a pizza :pizza:

6 Likes

12 Likes

I don’t need no fucking bib for pizza.

Got my pizza for tonight :pizza:
And gonna “Cork’ open the wine.

Not an Ironman in sight. TFFT

EDIT: here’s Doony enjoying his pizza on the Dee cycleway after helping out Sean for the umpteenth time.

11 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

:clap:

:white_check_mark:

WTC used to be way better; but like so many things now, culturally they are shit.

Two athletes died during the swim. Couple of videos I’ve seen it looks really rough conditions. Horrible for the families.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0820/1400656-cork-ironman/?fbclid=IwAR0G2-g4Wd60Uo3dQRC1iJUlpRlldVGcyI1ZnbvMMJ7RvLPAZ80560KY3yk

3 Likes

That is horrific news :disappointed:

Just read that news on Tri247 FB page.

Awful news.

Oh Jesus, horrendous.

That article states the bike is 90km too with I presume a normal run.

Sad news :disappointed_relieved:

There was a plan to move the swim into the harbour which is more sheltered infact they were going to do it on Saturday for the 70.3 before they moved it to Sunday but just shortened the swim in the original location. So sad RIP.

Very very sad
2 in a 70.3…!?

Wouldn’t want to be the “ guy” or girl ?! Who said it was ok to go ahead

People laugh at IMJ but I distinctly remember an Irish guy saying that that bit of sea was horrendous all summer

Could have been a crank but it seems he was right

2 Likes

They were doing 70.3 and full on the same day and 70.3 postponed from yesterday. Did the swim last year it was amazing but was pan flat. Videos look horrible

3 Likes

Terrible news, wonder if sea conditions contributed?

I’m guessing more likely heart problems than drowning?

2 Likes

Yes seen that one
40”s one 60”s

So so sad I’m not blaming the organisers, or any one in particular at the end of the day it’s YOUR choice to go in. Or not
But in the social media age you know some duckers will !

3 Likes

I suspect the full details will never come out and there’s already so much conflicting info on social media about what happened.

And while the athlete does have a choice ultimately on paper, do most really in practice? Youve paid hundreds of pounds, trained for months/years, this might be your first and only one. Everyone knows you are doing it and expecting you to finish and supporting you. If the organiser says it’s good to go how many who don’t have cash to burn or whom completing an Ironman is not really a ‘thing’ anymore cos they’ve done so many are going to not get in the water? Be surprised if it was more than a couple of dozen. Easy to say ‘just don’t do it’ but that’s not how the human mind works - and of course 99% of athletes today came out the water fine whatever the conditions, so I do agree I don’t think the organisers can be blamed for an ‘unsafe’ swim either.

(And whenever the swim is shortened or cancelled people complain too)

One consistent thing seems to be people talking about it being very difficult to sight small red buoys in the waves among large groups of athletes wearing red caps. But that comes up a lot I think anyway?

4 Likes