Ironman Nutrition Plan

Not a Jalfrezi and red wine?

1 Like

A yoga position?

(it’s a belgian caramelised biscuit but minced up as a spread, imagine you chewed a biscuit then spat it into a jar rather than swallowing it.)

2 Likes

Biscoff biscuit, but as a spread.
It’s delicious and @jibberjim is wrong :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

This. It is the ultimate spread. On a bagel it is sugar overload, but utterly awesome

1 Like

Bin the red bull…gels too soon…

1 Like

i will try and find the indoor IM nutrition plan…

but certainly my focus on food and drink starts in the week preceding…

1 Like

I’m generally more conservative for a full IM nutrition wise; something to do with all the time & money invested in getting there!

Short distance races though, I’ve tried all sorts: beet shots, ‘energy’ drinks, snorting gels, painkillers, you know the sort of thing.

1 Like

I have found that more pre race carb loading means more toilet visits on race morning. I limit my food intake day before because I know that less in equals less out.

1 Like

Biscoff spread is the best human invention EVER!

2 Likes

Start a few days before but day before big breakfast and lunch with smaller evening meal so not still sitting in stomach next day. Shift to low fibre low fat as well to help transit time.

2 Likes

I don’t know how you guys use the word hungry. I have never been hungry during any triathlon, five Ironman included.

Wake up , eat porridge, eggs, pastries, juice, coffee, if you can get it in, it’s good.
Gel 10-15 before swim start.
Gel but preferably energy drink in T1
Aid stations 1 bottle energy, 1 bottle electro/water, 1 bar
Drink in T2
Aid stations, any drink & any gel

That’s not breakfast, it was dinner!

2 Likes

why is everyone so keen to take gels so soon???

2 Likes

:ram::sheep::ram:

‘Cos that’s what we’ve been told to do.

Baa. Baa.

I do not believe anyone is “keen” to down a gel at 0540 :joy_cat:

the nutrition companies must love you all…

3 Likes

Mans gotta eat, bruh.

So what would you recommend?

Eating and hydrating the week before.
Normal breakfast (albeit at 0330) then just water/electrolytes up to the swim start?

Then start on the water on the bike.
Wait until tummy feels settled, then start on the solids?

Saving gels until halfway into the bike?

I’m a big fan of the SIS beta fuel with 80g of carbs in a bottle. It’s easier to take on board than a gel at the start of a race as I tend to have the gel repeat on me all through the swim.

3 Likes

You all need the IMJ nutrition of choice, it’s awesome, Tailwind … .sorry…its not that anymore. What is it now? another simple sugar drink that is better than all the other simple sugar drinks because some famous person says they use it. apparently its “science” I was told

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve started on the Beta fuel. I have to add some flavour too it. My only gripe is how long it seems to take to mix. Wish I could do it on the fly - any suggestions there @leahnp ?

Surely for an IM you just have your supersapiens thing telling you exactly when to eat the morning before, we can’t give you generic advice it has to be based on the insulin levels?

3 Likes

what did we do before all these super drinks and gadgets. How did anyone ever survive

1 Like