Ironman UK 2019

There was some IMJ whinging yesterday about some more climbing. I guess it is understandable given that many people are already concerned about cutoff times, so any additional elevation causes major panic

Is it true that the +2558m is over 95 miles too? Harsh.

Perhaps it’s time I repeat my suggestion that they reevaluate their training, I’m sure they’ll take it as a constructive comment.

Although a bit ripe coming from me, admittedly(!)

2 Likes

After a lot of people becoming ‘back door’ Ironmen with the 95m bike last year, it’s certainly tipped the other way!

Yep…
Certainly has…

it wasn,t the athletes that created the “backdoor” ironmen/women !!!

Quite true. I wonder how many Mdot tattoos were had after completing last year. Does anyone remember seeing the one on IMJ with “believe the hype” above it :rofl::rofl: It’s like a 24 mile marathon.

1 Like

There all on it this weekend…
A few few local legends have ridden the new new bit already…
It’s obviously makes a painfully slow route… slightly slower as it takes out a descent into a fast straight bit and puts in two sharp hills by a golf club, and adds another crazy ski run down hill…
sharp left and your back on the old… new course…
I’d be with them but it’s going to rain and I’ve ran out of hours…

Oh the drama…

… or a 26 mile marathon where your formal record then gets scrapped by EA!!

(Manchester 2015)

2 Likes

Isn’t that the opposite? That would be more like Ironman refusing to hand-out Finishers shirts and medals on notably short courses :wink:

1 Like

Haha, yes very true! … though i do have my tshirt still!!! :shushing_face:

Not a minor change for me. The new route cuts out the section past my mums, my sisters, my in-laws and my friends that were having a roadside party.

They are more pissed off than me, and that’s a lot.

3 Likes

Ouch, very significant in that case!

Now that is crraapp…!

Does anyone know the reason for the change? The people of Ainsworth Village had arranged a massive party, bunting and banners through the village, bacon butties at the church hall etc. Really embracing it.
Now we turn left just before the village!

My friends who live there are livid :joy:

Just been talking to a lad who led a group through it today…
Hope it’s dry FFS…

Was it not to avoid shutting down a village centre on a Sunday…?
Torrington ? but it might be a different one…
Apparently it’s s…t slow?!
Oh what a surprise !

Did they forget to pay their council/Ironman tax?

So by the sounds of it, I should leave my Disc wheeled, deep sectioned, TT bike at home and bring road bike with 28c tyres, a 32 cassette and enough nutrition for 6hrs+?

One upside being that if you can run well after tough bike you could be in with a decent KQ shout?

Only signed up for Bolton, as the logistics looked like they work well and even that benefit seems to be falling away.

It feels a little like Bolton might be running out of time.

Out in the glorious Lancashire sunshine just now…
78 very up and down kms and the first time ive managed over 30 kph…

Light weight Frankenstein hybrid road/ tt is coming along …

Dash saddle is the best thing I ever bought…

2 Likes