Ironman UK 2019

What have you gone for, aero-road bike or TT bike with drops?

Neither…
It’s a work in progress…

I’ll try and stretch my tech skills and put a pic up …

It rides alot better than it looks, a roadie in the shop was horrified!

4.1 kg with no wheels but with pedals, clip ons, saddle bag, computer and front storage…

FrankenTT

Now that’s very interesting. Don’t be offended…but you appear to have the ‘worst’ of both worlds. In that you have a road bike with the drops cut-off. I would have thought on a very technical course, the drops are exactly what you’d want? Hence my comment about trying drops on a TT frame.

Those bars remind me of the early 90s :star_struck:

I discovered at Manchester velodrome that I can’t ride a bike on the drops
At all
Ever
The end.

It actually handles very well, with light wheels it flys uphill, well flying by a 50 year old half shifting ex bodybuilder type of fashion.

Going to change to Sram chainset and a few more trick bits…

Would love some lightweights too…

Retro tt build should be finished next week… mk1 Scott plasma!

I haven’t seen a set of Xentis for years. They were very popular in Germanic countries after Faris al Sultan used them; but they have all but faded into obscurity now. I don’t think there was ever any cast-iron aero data on them, as they were quite niche.

I have 8 Xentis wheels
One broken…
I just like them…!

Wheel wise I don’t think there’s a huge difference at our/ my level.

There very robust and the hm set I have are great for hilly courses.

Yes, the TT model does look great! How light are they?

Mk 1 TTS are heavy … 1700g ish
The HM”s are 1300 ish but very stiff for a light wheel and you can ride them in a hurricane

1700g for a set of full aero wheels is not heavy; 808s are 1800-odd iirc.

I guess… I ride 808 fc rear and 404 fc front in all my races as there clinchers…

I have a set of tune hubs noble rims that feel very special, but never used them… tubs!

Isn’t that front wheel on the wrong way round???

Great spot!

I have vague recollections from back in the day when these wheels were en vogue and Planet X were selling them of someone quite high profile racing IM UK with their front wheel on backwards and did quite well. I’m not sure what that says about the aerodynamics of the wheels…

Rode 78 kms with it like that …
Ullrich did it…
He lost more watts than me…
I could have been 31.5 yesterday…?

Thanks for the spot, I’ll turn it round!

Tried to be as positive as can about the new course, but I’ve just done the typical thing: Out attempting 2 laps as final long ride this morning, started raining and greasy road plus **** descent means I tried to emulate Froome and plowed into a wall. Lucky that it wasn’t the most remote part of course and car drove by quickly, called paramedics as I’d lost consciousness.

Luckily I’m not capable of doing the speeds Froome was, so not too serious and I’m completely fine now a worryingly sore hip on any movement and plenty of abrasions.

My fault taking the corner too fast, wasn’t even that technical a section compared to others, but I won’t be the only one to do it on the day.

Blimey. Hope everything heals ok.

Glad you’re okay; certainly okay enough to think of posting here :wink::

Swift recovery!

HEAL STRONG!