Ironman UK 2021

Mungo2 - I hope this is true because the extent of climbing is freaking me out. It’s my first time (41 year old full time working mum with massive constraints on time and energy for training) and I am so worried that I won’t make the cut off time. Luckily I’m based near n Wales so have access to plenty of hills. But after an accident with a car last spring I had to defer. The possibility of it being a little less hilly would really boost my confidence. Have sent a request to the Ironman Bolton 2020 group on FB - Is this where you heard the rumour? Cheers.

Hi Nellie,

I know it probably won’t help ease your concerns that much, but EVERYONE is a little scared of the bike leg before their first IM, flat, rolling, or mountainous!

Just continue training, trust in the process, and it’ll all work out ok on the day.

2 Likes

Nellie, the first one is supposed to scare you a bit. Prepare for the same course and you won’t be disappointed either way.
Just ride your bike as much as you can and up as many hills as you can.
You are supposed to enjoy the process so get out as often as possible and get the wind in your hair. If you are on a turbo try to do lots of Z3 big gear work.

Have fun.

2 Likes

Nellie Welcome.

I’ll be on the loop in a few hours. It’s hardly The Alps…

As several people have said it just grinds on and on and on.

I know several bigger athletes, male and female who got through… one guy was 17.5 stone !

I get your stuck for time but I would try and do a loop before the big day, there are several groups who ride it on different days once the Spring comes.

I was gutted when they changed it as I should be going a lot faster than I did last year, but now like most I see it as a challenge.

Stick at it!

1 Like

You heard it here first …!?

IMUK

3 laps

Course too dangerous …

More to follow…

Obviously this is Ironman… could be utter crap.

1 Like

Isn’t this about the fourth change in about 6 years, not counting the year it was shortened.

Why don’t they just move it to Blackpool and go up and down the promenade?

Jeff

3 Likes

I’ll have that all day…!

No disc breaks needed there…

God knows what there doing but there doing something …!

It couldn’t possibly be any slower…

Oh wait!

When I know more details I’ll pass it on…

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Steven_Walton

…with a first post like that, you’re welcome with open arms.

@Mungo2 - What are the rumours, then?
When you ride the loop yesterday, a couple of my club mates were up there for a recce, too…

Ste Walton knows more than I do…!?

Long time athlete around that area, carried me for sure yesterday …!

1 Like

Welcome Nellie!

As the others have said; if you put in the miles, you’ll be fine. Living in Wales gives you a great opportunity to get in some good hills and scenic training. Unless you live in Newport/Port Talbot obvs :rofl: :+1:

Are these actual rumours this time…or just a really developed play on the perennial Blackpool rumour?

100%

Talked about by loonies rumours …!

Seriously the health and safety director tore a strip off the race director last year…

It was a perfect dry windless day and there was a 10? % BIKE DNF/ timed out and several accidents.

If it was ever wet with a full field it would put Waky races to shame…

Is that from your pal on Facebook?
(Just seen the thread and the private Messenger reply to the guy who asked, seems like it is changing)

Two guys made the same “ rhino face” map at exactly the same time!
One knows the roads in that area very well, the other is just a clever bastard!

Rumours abound…!
Half of me wants to beat last year, the other half wants to get a fast full distance time… ish.

I think we’re doing the loop above on Friday, maybe twice! I’ll let you know how it compares…

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has ever done Bolton in search of a fast time!

True…

I did say “ ish”

But the old old loop was considerably faster.

I might defer and do Outlaw…?!

Outlaw is surely the fastest Full Distance course in the UK; the roads are still pretty rough though, compared to abroad; so not #überfast

Dalesman was billed as super fast…?!

Was this years A race, IMUK Super tough training day six weeks out…

But as of now … there are 16 entries…!?