Ironman UK 2021

Yeah, it is…but the bike was a few miles short, and the run was a mile or so short, too…

…so it’s fast due to that :wink:

However, I think even with the extra few miles, it’s the fastest in the UK.

Your thinking of Lakesman ?!

Dalesman is a brand new race in Yorkshire…

I think…?!

Free bird events?

It’s in August anyway?! Less than 4000 ft

1 Like

How long is that loop at Bolton, will it be 2 laps?

Yorkshireman is Firebird, it ran last year but the full only had about 100 entries, the half was better. The course wasn’t too bad.

Dalesman is trihard, it’s the first running of it this year.

Jeff

1 Like

What he said…

Thanks Jeff.

The rhino … if it comes off… will be three laps.

Looks slightly faster but three times up sheephouse… shallow side… is hardly Barca…

Yeah - WHOOPS!
I did mean Lakesman, sorry chaps.

New (rumoured) Bolton loop is 3 * 30 mile loops, with an 11 mile out and back bit (11 + (30 * 3) + 11) = 112

1 Like

Just checked out the official page:

https://www.ironman.com/im-uk

Swim looks ace!
Bike looks lonely
That part of the run course looks tough!

Now we’re talking!!!

Although 2k athletes on a 30 mile / 50km loop is going to be congested real quick - but will be nice and fast for the better cyclists, as when flagging on the final loop, there should always be someone ahead to use as a carrot :slight_smile:

However, that route looks to be quite short to me…three loops of the below, plus the 18km out from the lake = ~160km, so there is ~20km missing

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31907162

Also, now that I have plotted it and can see the hills, it ain’t too bad, really.

If the reason for changing course is to make it faster then I think that’s a huge shame, I thought last year was a good challenging course without being TriX extreme, and appropriate for masses. But clearly I’m in the minority on that one.
I do support a change to avoid a few sections of horrendous roads, which would be dangerous in wet and needed last year’s weather to stay safe. If this year’s course manages that then it’s for the greater good.

Three times up Sheephouse shallow side will make overall course faster and smoother, given the section down Sheephouse and round to Bolton Centre is the fastest on course.

Three laps will also make much more spectator friendly which is probably the best bit overall. It was the loop that your picture has highlighted over that was completely empty. That was also the tough 40km section of the loop though, put via Grange Road and back via Roman/Blacksnape Road.

Very significant changes, rough estimate I’d say at least 30 minutes quicker course, plus then savings transferred to the run. But there are others like @PCP that know the roads far better.

1 Like

Three loops would be better.
I’ve finally sussed the sheephouse descent.

It used to petrify me! That grane rd / pick up bank bit was just horrid.

They need the IM Hamburg course measurer to help out.

3 Likes

All rumours so far, @Chriswim … I’m with you one this one, I was looking forwards to an 11 hour slog-fest.

At least you’ll get your (not inconsiderable) money’s worth!

2 Likes

Dude, I’m giving my supports a few of the fabric bags for life to throw “some” gels and bars into :wink:

Where some = 600

Don’t get caught by the refs :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:musical_note: DQ DQ DQ DQ DQ :musical_note:

IS that against the rules then???

1 Like

Lol
Hunters hill
Me and a huge pan/ drum/ noise making machine…

Guy stops … On the steep bit…!?
Wife gives him two bottles, a gel and a kiss.

His two mates then push him up to speed and gone.

He went 10 something too…!
Easy shorter course…

Don’t think all that was adhoc…?!
He wasn’t the only one.
It was so packed the ref would never see?!

Definitely outside assistance.

I think a fellow competitor can give you a gel or tube but not your mate or Mrs on the side of the road :rofl:

2 Likes

There a special needs out side the town hall.
It was very good.