IronMan UK Bolton 2022 - July 3rd

So I’m staying in a cottage for a week just outside of Oldham at the end of the month and will super keen to ride this.

Can I ask for a recommendation on where to park on the loop. I don’t care for the road from the lake to the loop, from memory it’s not a nice one to ride?

ETA - can anyone also point me in the right direction of an OW swim venue that won’t turn their nose up at a random turning up?!

2 Likes

Lots of people park on the road by the reservoir.

But quite a few pubs with free parking on the loop.

There are several groups going out most weeks, they will be doing the new new loop I’m guessing.

The delph at Eccleston is open all day most days for swimming but it’s only 400? Ms round.
They do have swim sessions at the flash, which is were the swim is too usually in the evening.

Enjoy it’s a great race

2 Likes

“The three-loop 112-mile (180.2km) bike course through Bolton and the northern countryside will remain largely unchanged, with an adjustment to no longer utilise the sections of highway that travel through Lancashire

reading between the lines?, maybe they fell out with Lancashire CC?

2 Likes

I doubt I’d be able to swing a group ride out there past the Mrs. I’ll probably have to get up at the crack of dawn and just get it done.

Thinking out loud I may well be able to swing one day for myself and ride three loops and get a swim in.

Anyone fancy being my chaperone?

3 Likes

I’ve not rode a bike ( outside ) since my crash in June last year, I might be able to find you a local guide.

Cost and organisation.
Just deal with one council (or two - Bolton and Bury) by the looks of things?

@adam - do you want to park on the loop? Or just off it? Also, are you doing IMUK this year?

You’re right, the lake to the loop is bloody awful.
No point recce’ing it, as it’s just 1-2% boring main A-road.
I felt awful going up that way :joy:
You won’t need to do the Horwich RAB out and back part either, as that’s also a main road, full of little shops and parked cars and a school/college.

You’ll be best off parking in Queens Park, Bolton, BL1 4SL.
It’s free. And you can top up bottles every 50km then :+1:t3:
Should be zero traffic at all if you arrive by 7:30am.

You won’t want to do three loops.
You’ll be bored to tears after just two.

Although, if you’re staying in Oldham, it’s much better to ride east to Greenfield, the. Dovestones Reservoir climb (Skye Road/The Road to Sky) descend Saddleworth into Holmfirth, then do Holme Moss. Mad descent to Woodhead, then Torside, Hadfield, Mottram, StalyVegas, Mossley, Lees, Oldham :+1:t3:

For OW swims, you’re screwed :joy:
There’s nowt near Oldham - there’s Gaddings Dam, but you need a hike to get there for a free swim.
Otherwise you’re sort of between Hollingsworth and Salford Quays and are bound by the organised times.

2 Likes

What dreams are made of i guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

@adam - I’d say you’ll get two loops done in four hours, mainly due to all of the stopping and starting at the junctions. So for a 7am ride start time, you’ll be done by 11am and back at the cottage for midday - if you’re lucky.

If it’s 25th May, I could be persuaded, if you’re going to play nicely 🫣 :leg:t3: :dagger:

3 Likes

I think I’m there from the 27th to the 3rd of June.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with any of the area. Is that the IM loop from Oldham? Or just decent route to ride?

Yeah, we’re meeting up with friends who live in Edinburgh. It’s loosely a good spot in between for both of us.

My sly tactics worked though and we all agreed on a spot that I could selfishly disappear to recce the bike course :rofl:

ETA - obviously the other family have no idea about this :wink:

4 Likes

Not the IM loop, just a brilliant loop.
Nice and straight uphills at a steady gradient, with stunning views.
Then mad good descents, for the UK, with decent road surfaces and not too steep.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39372307

Shame about those dates :frowning:
Looks like you’ll be doing it solo :wink:

1 Like

Nice one, I thought so.

I just have no idea with road names etc.

I’ll load that up onto the Wahoo - ta!

1 Like

Holme Moss, though?!?!

It’s pretty iconic :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Well yes I’ve heard of that!

ETA - also two loops in four hours, shit the bed, is it really that slow? 25 kph isn’t it?

1 Like

Holme Moss is a brilliant climb and done from the Holmfirth side also gives an even better descent. Great views too, in an IM would be as iconic as Mirador del Rio, Lanza.

IM Last of the Summer Wine……

4 Likes

Nah, I did two loops in 3:41, but elapsed time was 4hrs and 18 seconds.
Honestly, the traffic lights are GRIM!
Tonnes of junctions, too.

I managed a couple of 1:39 loops on race day (moving time)

2 Likes

[quote=“Poet”]
(moving time)
[/quote] and total elapsed time? :rofl:

2 Likes

If swimming at Salford Quays you could take the family as there is often stuff going on there as well as places to eat and so.

1 Like

After a bit of Google searching - Sale water park is looking like a 30 odd minute drive away

4 Likes

Don’t go there at night…

Lol…. Lots.

1 Like