IronMan UK Bolton 2023 - July 2nd

Despite what I said last July I’ve entered. Who’d have thought I’d be pining to get back to Bolton.

The date works for me - 19 weeks to go, just the impending third child to throw a potential spanner in the works. What could possibly go wrong eh?

14 Likes

On a bedwatch with a guy yesterday, says his sons doing it and the bike route goes up through Bury now?

Is that the same one as 2022?

It’s a great race.

2 Likes

Great to hear this @Adam. I’ll see you there.
@Poet had entered at one point but seem to think he may have withdrawn/transferred/deferred?

2 Likes

Yes will be awesome to see you there

Yeah, I think Poet backed out a little while ago.

@Mungo2 , bike course looks the same as last year, doesn’t quite make it out to Bury - doesn’t mean they won’t change of course

1 Like

Yeah, I’m out.

They’ve left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Is the new Bolton bike course harder than Wales you reckon?

Yeah I would say so. Only though because it’s a bit relentless where it’s constantly up or down. Road surfaces play their part too, particularly on downhills, so many shitty craters and pot holes to avoid so you don’t get a moment to switch off.

3 Likes

Well I tip my hat to you doing both!

1 Like

Injury/ motivation/ life … willing I’ll do it again next year ( 55) or outlaw ?

The roads have got worse since 2020 apparently, I dread to think what there like now?!

A few locals are going 28-30 mm tyres, tubeless running 60? Psi. They reckon it’s as fast and much more comfortable.

Of All the people I went to support last year you were the only one I didn’t really see properly, bright pink speedos should do the trick ?

3 Likes

Once you do spot The Peacock you’ll never miss him thereafter. The shoulders on his trisuit are bright/fluo orange on a background of white & he has a wonderful mane of hair :smiley:.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

I’m retiring that bright orange trisuit, certainly for Ironman - ripped me to pieces in places it really shouldn’t have

Have to admit I was annoyed I didn’t bump into you last year @Mungo2

It’s wonderful getting shouts of encouragement from Doonie every lap though - was a highlight each 10km :rofl:

6 Likes

I’m in France this year for Bolton :worried:, but I’ll be down at Tenby :smiley:.

4 Likes

I was looking fast 30 ish year old with thick hair and a huub suit

Saw 5 clones in the first 20 runners and gave up !

He did well anyways

4 Likes

You need something that stands out like 400 quid Rokka one!

And some of those daft illegal orange shoes

1 Like

Ha, I bought some of those garish orange and pink Vaporflys in the Black Friday sale

Will probably still use that Huub suit (arse crack showing and all)

4 Likes

defo. significantly. I did some stats on the 2 somewhere. Hardest M Dot bike ITW :sunglasses:

3 Likes

go on wassup. :thinking:
nb. I don’ think they sue you for non-approved thought nowadays btw :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just having a sit down and writing myself a loose training plan for this.

I was thinking of taking an easier / recovery week after every three weeks of ‘training’

So, a slight issue with this with 18 weeks to go is week commencing June 5th would be an easier week with three weeks until race day.

Ideally the following week would be my biggest and last proper week with a two week taper to follow - what are peoples thoughts on the easy week being before this with an easier two weeks following?

Obviously this all just a loose plan but I feel like I need something on paper to follow, in reality it might all go to shit but we’ll see eh!

1 Like

Yeah, the 3:1 ratio is normally the way I go too and ordinarily week of 12/6/23 would be my final big week before tapering. Things are going to be slightly different for me this year as Copenhagen is the main goal so I’ll be ‘training through’ Bolton to some extent although I will be having 2 easy weeks 1 before and 1 after Bolton.
We’re still a long way out. Why don’t you adjust things now, have yourself a recovery week this and begin your first ‘block’ next week?

1 Like

Ah so simple but yes you’re absolutely right. That should align it all up nicely and gives the added benefit of this week being easy where I’ve got a few things on in the evenings

I’ve created a incredibly boring and simple plan but hopefully consistency will be the key

6 Likes