Ironman Virtual Racing

Yeah I listened to a bit of that podcast. Joe Skipper not even acknowledging that it was ill-advised to post his ride publicly on the Internet; and accused anyone taking him to task on social media as either ‘jealous’ or a troll. Shame, as I really thought he was a top bloke, but this taken the shine off him a little for me (the doubling-down)

Isn’t he a graduate? Obviously not in PR or Internet savvy.

1 Like

Interesting - I deal with third parties like this all the time. Strava are right on all points, DCR is incorrect to doubt them though I know why he does. Sport Heroes are wrong, and Ironman don’t know what the fuck they’re saying like so many US companies when it comes to GDPR.:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Now I have to decide whether I ignore my personal and professional principles and carry on with IM VR3, or pretend it’s my personal and professional principles and not my hangover that is stopping me doing the sprint distance tonight… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Have to say, whilst he’s Fast as F**k, he’s never come across as the sharpest tool in the box.

4 Likes

Yep, i’ve always thought that.

Contrast that with AB, who started a degree in Medicine at Cambridge! (he switched to a Sports degree at Leeds iirc?)

nearly all of the BTF squad are/were doing Sports Science at Leeds (or Leeds Beckett if there is a difference) Bucko even went to FSU on a running scholarship. Triathlon generally attracts a certain demographic even at elite levels

Leeds Becket was the old poly, then Leeds Met for a while.

Got a really good sports setup there, I participated in a research study there last year and they were just waiting for a new fitness centre to be opened.

Jeff

1 Like

CastleTriathlon are actually charging people for their “virtual events”.

And it sounds like people are paying.

:flushed:

Yeah, I just got that email. £15 a pop to take a photo of your indoor workouts and upload them so they can compile a leaderboard. Why on earth would anyone pay to do that? Then again, I’ve seen loads of the mass market running companies also offering “virtual runs” where you basically just pay a tenner for a medal to be posted to you. Strange what motivates some people.

EDIT - it’s ok though. There are prizes. You get a shoutout on fb live and they share some photos. Awesome.

2 Likes

A light-hearted take on Ironman VR3

5 Likes

“ Racking was a lot less stressful.”

:joy:

I decided to take part in VR3, a bit like races I’ve captured it on Garmin rather than Strava only now I’ve used the Edge for runs as well and edited the type afterwards. This should mean SportHeroes only abuse my race data, not all my training activity…if it syncs! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Nice one

It definitely has its merits as a bit of fun.

I’ve got the finisher badge this week but minimal effort - ticked off a slow NYC route yesterday and just split my short jog this morning to match the distances.

1:06 I think.

I think next week will be a 70.3 again

Completely agree. Plenty of work to do if they are to allocate world championship slots and maintain integrity. I wonder are they even thinking of Kona slots in this way,even if they haven’t yet publicised it? I hope they don’t go down that route…

Would completely devalue the whole race

Is it a valid option for this years Kona though?

Let’s say Kona can go ahead, but so many qualifying races postponed or cancelled it might be the only way to get a full compliment there this year…

With legacy having built up to 5+ years before this, clearing that backlog is a much better way. They have already announced they’re going to do that, at least to some extent. I don’t disagree with that. These are people who’d committed to the sport over years and earned their spot via that avenue.

Someone finding a virtual hack or backdoor to “win” a spot is different matter.

1 Like

Check out the comments over the weekend…the CEO of Sport Heroes has been caught fake posting by DCR! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yep… i’ve deleted my account. Its quite obvious that they don’t have an approach that I can trust.

yep me too, minute i see the fuss.