It’s culture wars gone mad (wots woke now ?)

HOLY SHIT… I pressed play on this while on a call that I don’t really care about.

Noticed just in time that I wasn’t muted!

3 Likes

The irony being Carling is what ABV?

1 Like

Ha ha! Jamie ‘the crossest man in Scotland’ - love it

1 Like

“What if they Gave a War and Everyone Was Woke?”

That’s just hilarious.

Maybe there wouldn’t be so much war in the first place?

3 Likes

And on the left it is to object to anything they don’t like and disagree with.

1 Like

I was looking at the definitions “out there” and stumbled on this gem about postmodernism:

Postmodernism is the ultimate lubricant invented by social sciences in order to fuck every concept and structure that humans ever came up with. At the same time it is used as a means for social sciences to penetrate one another.

Anthropology put some postmodernism on its cock and managed to penetrate History so deep that it screamed…then it turned towards Political Science, which fainted immediately.

:laughing:

7 Likes

I haven’t seen the left use woke in a pejorative sense?

1 Like

Presumably brewdog isn’t woke because of all the news about the way they treat their employees?… fck knows

I couldn’t give a fuck about woke. It’ll pass like most things. Once the kids grow older they’ll be like, whatever. I hadn’t realised how woke artists were - ok, naive you say - but up here yes there’s stuff about identity politics ( don’t care ) but no one’s really banging a drum. Every show in Transmission in the last 2, 3 years seems to be on some ethno revisionist I don’t bother to look trip mind you. Fair enough re examination etc but to eliminate stuff and cancel etc is ridiculous. I also think certain celebrities draw on it as a vehicle for getting needles press attention. A bit like when John Barnes said he was sacked from Celtic because he was black. He was sacked because he was absolutely fucking shit

I’m ranting again…

I mean recently a critic in the daily telegraph I think was arguing for Picasso to be cancelled because he appropriated African masks etc in his early modernist stuff… who else did he think should be cancelled? Some other pup… all the while ignoring Dali’s Nazi sympathy lol - they’re all fuck nuggets

Murillo was a paedo ffs :joy:

Years ago when Chris Offili was sticking elephant dung on his canvases I think even he got accused of cultural appropriation… maybe it was?… :man_shrugging:

Oh yeah - Dana Shutz’s portrait of emmet till. That caused an absolute shit storm

I get more angry about folk like Jeremy Deller appropriating acid house culture for his own gain and applying really trite, dreary anodyne twists to it lol

1 Like

It’s one step up from Tenants

No. As a general rule they don’t….

They use it as an excuse to rail against anything they don’t like under the banner of fairness….and often it is anything but….

4 Likes

No some just attack anyone with a differing opinion as racist or that you somehow dont care about others. Only some, like only some of the right then label everything woke they disagree with. Its a shame how everything is because it stops meaningful debate, much like the trans sport issue

3 Likes

No nuance anymore, just black and white shouting over the top of each other. As people get older the binary world view dissipates that’s why I think all this woke phenomena will disappear in a few years

3 Likes

Not that easily. The universities are rife. Media and Hollywood are rife. Business becoming so also - particularly big business.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re probably right… Brother was telling me climbing company Patagonia have gone all woke - essentially I think because it means they can break into a bigger market in US

Loads of pro activist stuff

Guess they’re fulfilling the ‘rebel’ type of branding or is it environmental etc

Becoming mainstream is hardly rebelling….

But I do like the go woke go broke meme

1 Like

Awareness of prejudice and it’s impact on people is never a bad thing.

What people complain about is when they are rejecting the impact of prejudice on other people, or when action on prejudice in something outweighs the thing itself. The former is is valueless position and the latter only seems to happen, it never actually does.

As if. You? Never.

2 Likes

You mean, the company who made gilets for literally every investment firm?

Yeah. They’re so “up the man” it’s untrue :joy:

3 Likes

No marketing - branding fits into various categories. Strategies if you like to attract a certain type of consumer so Nike is/ was ‘rebellious’ etc

:rofl:

Aaaghhhhhh

:boom:

I’m just annoyed that some French bloke has taken my record payment and is using it for holiday money - the dismissive arrogance - I’m going to Paris in September. This won’t end well :rofl:

2 Likes

This series about arguments covers a few points people have made on here BBC Radio 4 - Seriously..., The Long History of Argument - Ep 1

Has social media resulted in polarised opinions? With the noisy left and right causing a muted/overlooked middle?

Do people try and listen/understand some one else’s point of view, or do they just shout them down?

Parliament is a media show of marketing 3 word sound bites. Bring back the debate and arguments!

5 Likes