Joe Skipper

I’m like that when I’m running - they do my fucking nut in. When you go out of your way to avoid them and still the wayward bastards are so oblivious that they walk across you etc well then I just run through them

3 Likes

As a dog owner and cycle path user this pisses me off no end.
Equally, you could replace “dogs” with “small children” there - toddlers ALL over the place on the Trans Pennine Trail, parents paying ZERO attention.
The paths are shared spaces.
People are entitled and believe the path is theirs.
Really gets my goat.

4 Likes

The two lots that annoy me when running are dog walkers that think it’s ok for their mutt to jump up at me or LO because “it’s friendly and just saying hello’

FRO and see how friendly it is when connected with my foot.

The others are the cycle commuters that bomb along on a busy path, don’t slow down or attempt to change course because it’s ok, they’ve rang their fucking bell. Reminds me of the cart people sketch from Seinfeld.

Horses and their entitled riders are a whole different category!

6 Likes

This. :clap:

5 Likes

I have some sympathy for horse riders.

One horsepower is 735 Watts. Anyone who has ever ridden Zwift knows what that feels like. Except not me. Haven’t got a scooby. Even if I grit my teeth and bite tongue and flay my back with a riding crop, I can’t get above 600.

But that’s what a horse can sustain, steady state, trotting along with just a little bit of steam coming out of those massive nostrils.

So if they spook and decide to jump around a little or throw their rider into a ditch, I reckon they are putting out 2000W+. Which they can do at any given moment.

So IMHO horse riders are not all entitled. Some are just living in a permanent state of terror, while nursing feelings of conflict towards their father for being a stockbroker and their mother for naming them Arabella or Piers.

This affects their behaviour.

10 Likes

Well, I think FP is talking about some horsey people, not all - just like it’s not all drivers, peds or cyclists.

4 Likes

You must be on one of those cheap continental horses and my post Brexit pony is far superior :wink:

6 Likes

You just lifted the Zwift bar even higher out of reach…

2 Likes

I’m sure some virtual liposuction and zpower could get us there no problem :joy:

2 Likes

Well, that’s cheered me right up…. my full on sprint efforts aren’t even one f*****g horsepower. :joy:

7 Likes

Imperial or metric horsepower…. :face_with_monocle:

It’s worse than that isn’t it, the 1 horsepower thing is the horse’s ability to raise water on a treadmill isn’t it, and that’s considerably less efficient than a man on a bicycle, so work actually done by the horse is more - of course, horses are too un-coordinated to ride a bicycle, so they’ll never be efficient as a human.

4 Likes

So to continue the derail of thread

Horse sprint = 15HP

That’s 11,190W… this compares realistically to my 164w/kg sprint on Zwift :smirk:

2 Likes

Outrageous slur on the equine population.

I’d like to see your average mobile-phone-driver operate four legs and a tail in a double canter pirouette!

5 Likes

so what we’re saying is a horse on a tandem on Zwift would beat most of us in a sprint? assuming they’ve got look keo hooves of course

7 Likes

A meagre 28W/kg for the horse though, which if google is correct is actually remarkably similar to a track sprinter.

3 Likes

28w/kg may get you a mid pack finish…

2 Likes

Is this a good time to point out that it wasn’t a horse that collided with a van on Wednesday night?

Just a weak attempt to get us back on topic

Edit: was talking about human cyclists in general, not specifically Joe Skipper :man_facepalming: sorry :man_facepalming:. Do you ever get that feeling where you wish you had just held that thought for 30 seconds before deciding to speak/post?

4 Likes

I always give horse riders a wide birth at my mum and dad’s. When I was a teenager a horse was a bit narcy when I ran past even though I was pretty respectful - crossed the road, slowed to a jog etc. I’d be on edge if I was on a horse on a country lane. The traffic these days really whips round too. Anxious enough on a bike :bike:

I tend to find horse riders the better of the lot when running or cycling. Also if its bigger than you, give way. They move slowly and you have a better chance they are going to travel in a predicted direction. People walking right in the middle of paths with headphones and zero spatial awareness. People walking dogs are by far the worst. To me they are the entitled lot. Dogs not on leads running about all over. I’ve booted two (dogs) that have run across my path mid stride. (I say booted, I just didn’t alter my course or stride to try and avoid it and potentially end up falling over).

2 Likes