Kayaking & Canoes

It looks more like a goat boat than a kayak?

1 Like

3 Likes

I had to Google Goat Boat, it’s a surf ski type thing right?
I couldn’t find why they were called that though.

Yeah pretty much. They are a sit on type thing for people that never learned to surf properly. We used to drop in on them all the time and give them heaps of shit. Always funny to see one getting caught over the falls (kind of).

The are/were hated in the line up, mainly because of their mass if they are getting tumbled in the washing machine because it’s like getting hit by an out of control car.

The other was they could generate more paddling speed, so you’d get snaked on the inside by some ho Dad that can’t fucking stand up.

I’m a big fan! :rofl:

1 Like

Forgot to answer the question :wink:

2 Likes

But why Goat?, I get it’s a derogatory term but what’s the etymology, where’s Suzi Dent when you need her.

I’ve caught a wave on a 12ft SOT kayak…I know, leg-end right.

Perhaps it’s more polite than Cunt Punt :man_shrugging: :rofl:

2 Likes

Depends what you meant by ‘caught a wave’? A 12ft ski will ride a ripple but that’s like saying riding a wave at Waikiki is that same as backdoor pipe.

Here’s what you don’t want to see heading towards you!

1 Like

Unless you’re already drowning and they’re the life guards coming to save you? :man_shrugging: :rofl:

Unlikely, We’d be outside the flags, they just patrol the Barney soup. Those boats aren’t actually used for life saving. They are used in Ironman racing.

Life saving is usually RIB or old school belt and rope on rare occasions back in the day.

1 Like

Well the white one has gone, got more than I paid for it, kept the expensive neoprene spray deck it came with but threw in a cheaper nylon one and one piece paddle that I got with the new one. After a summer’s use I call that a result.
I haven’t tried the blue one yet but it’s got a bit more volume and is less slab sided with less aggressive edges so should be a bit more numpty friendly. Here’s hoping :grin:

ETA - Yes the grass has been cut since I took this.

6 Likes

Flush with cash from the sale of the old kayak I decided to treat myself to a new bat.
Fibreglass shaft, asymmetrical blades and colour coordinated (I’ve clearly been hanging around on here with Poet for too long). Should be a bit of an upgrade from the very basic alloy one I have now.

And Ebay decided to give me 10% off for no apparent reason too.

3 Likes

Looking at these play boats, about time you were shootin’ this stuff?..

4 Likes

I can’t remember doing anything to offend you but you appear to want to kill me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I had my first go in the blue one on Monday. It’s much less twitchy than the white one, I can actually relax in this one, where I was constantly on edge in the other.
I want to learn to roll so I can right myself if I do capsize but I won’t be going anywhere near anything like your picture. The odd little step or bubbly section in the river or maybe small waves in the sea would be fine if I never get any further.

6 Likes

Here’s the same model as the blue one in the right hands!
g force - YouTube

I’m hunting for a single seat SOT now. I’m sat here doing the maths on fuel costs to collect them from various locations, and basing my highest bid on that…or the delivery charges if I buy new vs driving to collect from the store :sweat_smile:

If you buy new it’s £40-50 delivery, so in my car it’s better value to pay for shipping, especially when you factor in the time & convenience!

2 Likes

There’s a SoT playboat that keeps coming up on my FB feed, I’m too heavy for it but it looked a bit of a hoot. I’ll see if I can track it down.

I’m strictly Touring boats; I think paddling a play boat (with it’s lack of tracking) for a few hours would be hard work!

I’ve seen a few ‘wave skis’ on FB & eBay; I think that’s what you’re meaning? Almost like a moulded surfboard?

1 Like

Yeah, they’re just as happy going sideways or backwards as forwards, not great for any distance.
This is the one that keeps popping up.
Titan Mix | Sit On Top Playboat (cornwall-canoes.co.uk)

1 Like