Kayaking & Canoes

Like a sawn-off SOT :sweat_smile: I guess a good compromise for those not wanting to be stuck in a capsized play boat.

1 Like

Yeah I think that’s the idea, I’ve had to bail out of mine once upside down and it all went fine but I can imagine people less comfortable in open water getting in a bit of a panic trying to get the spraydeck off and out of a pretty tight kayak.

1 Like

Interested to see what this goes for. They are £479 new. It’s quite a drive (112 miles each way, £53.40 fuel).

Or this now £369 + 40 shipping :ok_hand:

1 Like

Might as well stick it here too. After paddling with a friend last weekend, I realized my black barge was exactly that, so I needed to go for something long, skinny and lightweight! Free speed!

5 Likes

That looks super speedy but quite narrow so a bit tippy for a numpty like me. I bet you can’t wait to get out and feel the difference from your current one.
Do have somewhere near home or is it a bit of a day trip to go kayaking?
I currently leave mine at our OW swimming venue for the odd play but looking for somewhere near home I can pop for an hour or two whenever I fancy it.

1 Like

The one we hired had pedals for steering and a cable to pull up the rudder. Can’t see that on yours, is that just for two seaters?

Just over 20 mins to the Avon. Plus various canals. The coast is pretty shite around here (mouth of the Severn) and tides/currents mean it has to be very well planned!

1 Like

One thing (amongst many) I need to learn is getting in the boat when it’s floating. At the moment I find a shallow beach type area where I can get in then shuffle it into the water.
The one I have now is a fair bit more stable than the previous one so I may give it a try as that will open up some more options like the canal.

1 Like

My new RTM is marketed for sub 80kg users.

If getting in from a bank, put the paddle across the back of the cockpit so that one end is braced on the bank and grip the paddle shaft where it meets the edge of the cockpit. Then step in the boat.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m ok with the theory, it’s putting it into practice that’s the issue, especially on that old white b*stard :scream:

3 Likes

These guys are just amazing. The boats are so tippy and they make it look so easy.

4 Likes

You can see who are lefties & who are the righties there.

Is there any draughting benefit in kayaking or is it a matter of simply wanting to be in the bunch to compete for a sprint at the end…if you have the gas.

Yes, huge drafting benefit. Most paddlers sit to one side and slightly astern so the the front of your boat is roughly in line with the paddler in front.

1 Like

absolutely…

the NZ C2C has 70k of kayaking and i had to be helped out of the kayak completely wrecked at the end…and that’s with the most stable of kayaks…

6 Likes

Was wondering if I’d see Hank McGregor in that. Why yes, he was in the lead. A bit of a legend where I’m from but if ever there was an example of someone who only knows how to do one thing - it’s him. An incredible paddler and amazing how long he’s stayed at the top of the sport but not much else to him.

My brother learnt to paddle under his dad Lee. Another character in Durban. Durban breeds some incredible paddlers and I always threatened to give it a go but never quite did. Summer is for river paddling and the perfect calm weather in winter lends itself to surfski. So there’s a distinct advantage to being based there.

2 Likes

Thought I might as well get a decent paddle now too! Carbon shaft and adjustable feather.

2 Likes

Or get a power meter ?

1 Like

Haha, I’m some way off that level of commitment :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Which one did you get?
On the subject of feather; my first paddle was a lever lock one so could be set at any angle. I tried a few different angles but settled on no feather at all.
All the reading I did suggested feathering is to make the blade out of the water more aero, which I’m not bothered about, so I just stuck with what I found more comfortable.
My new paddle only has 3 positions but I use it flat too so not an issue.
I do keep wondering if I’ve missed something and should persevere with a feather and I’ll get used to it eventually.

1 Like