Kipchoge’s/Your ten essential items

Saw this on the trainer today and thought it was interesting although nothing surprising.

What are your 10 essential items as a triathlete or … TriTalker :wink:

Me:

1, 2 & 3 Indoor bike set up
I basically wouldn’t be in this hobby without it. I know it’s not one singular item; bike, trainer, power pedals.

4 Goggles
You can swim in any old shit or naked, but I double dare you to do over an hour in the pool without goggles like I did in November. Nightmare.

5 Nike Milers
Yes the Vapor’s are where it’s at but all seasons and even IM Barca, the Milers got me through

6 Huub tri shorts
Simple/basic and can run, ride, swim and race in them

7 Garmin Watch
In the old days I would’ve said phone, but since moving to Garmin I can do without the phone if I had to. The Garmin ecosystem has impressed me, plus it can carry all the workouts sans phone/comp.

8 & 9 Argon 18 E-118 and Sci Con Box
Have race bike, will travel to races. Having a cool race bike really makes racing enjoyable, and having a box to get it there has taken me around europe.

10 Job
Until my estranged brother dies and leaves me millions, someone has to pay the race entry fees

5 Likes

I started to type my list and it’s basically the same. I am inclined to say treadmill - just has taken my run consistency to another level but certainly not before indoor trainer.

1 Like

Training partners would be high up my list.

5 Likes

Clothing
Coffee
Headphones

turbo is no1 bit of kit for any cyclist/triathlete past the essentials

my no 1 piece of kit is…

having a good triathlon story…

I can still talk a good race…

4 Likes

For you, that;s 102 essential items. Need to narrow it down a bit for this thread…!

5 Likes

Definitely headphones, last thing I want to listen to is my own thoughts.

And an honourable mention to a supportive partner/family

2 Likes

Mmm, your headphones made me think of podcasts. I’m not sure I could live without them, let alone tri.

I don’t think you can narrow it down to ten items for tri - you’d need more than ten pieces of kit to even complete one!

2 Likes

Erm …

Swim;

1. trisuit (HTFU)
  2. Goggles
  3. Garmin watch

Bike;
3. Shoes
4. Helmet
5. Bike
6. Number belt

Run;
7. Running shoes

Am I missing anything?
That’s all you need for a sprint tri.
Well, I’ve added four items for “comfort”

You don’t need a Garmin, goggles, Number belt (pin number on in T1) or running shoes (cycle using flats and toeclips)

Welcome to Yorkshire Triathlon :joy:

consistency - you just published a list of 400 hundred things you needed for a simple bike ride!

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

1hr pool triathlon versus a 30 hour bike ride :+1:t3:

1 Like
  1. Price of a cup o tea
  2. Cracked cold tea cup (without milk, sugar…or tea)
  3. Rolled up newspaper
  4. Damp cloth
  5. Happiness
  6. Poorness
  7. Tiny house with great big holes in the roof, one room with half the floor missing shared with 26 others
  8. Corridor
  9. Old water tank on a rubbish tip, daily filled with rotting fish
  10. Hole in t’ ground covered by tarpaulin

Yeah alright, maybe if it was your first triathlon and you were doing it for a laugh or curiosity etc… technically you could, although, I wouldn’t fancy swimming at all without goggles.

Here’s my packing list for St George…

Swim:

Trisuit
Heart rate monitor
Wetsuit
Goggles
Swim hat
Garmin watch
Calf guards

Bike:

Bike
Wahoo
Bike shoes
Tubes / tools
Bottles (x2)
Helmet
Socks

Run:

Visor
Trainers
Race belt

Extras:
Towel
Nutrition - (high5 tabs, Maurten 320, gels)
Charging cables

I’m not sure that list is too excessive. Calf guards can go, maybe socks, Wahoo, garmin, visor and a towel, but I’d say you really need the rest of it

3 Likes

Kit

Trisuit
Goggles
Wetsuit
Number belt
Bike
Helmet
Bike shoes
Toolkit
Sunglasses
Running shoes
(That’s 10: a cap would make it 11)

Consumables

Lube
Rubber bands
Sunscreen
Talc
Drink
Gels

1 Like

Well that for you they have to be Alphaflys with turquoise trim, for instance.

The exam question isn’t what do triathletes need to compete, it’s what particular things you have that you consider essential or important.

2 Likes

Think I can pare my essential list down to 6:

Trisuit
Goggles
Bike
Bike shoes
Helmet
Run shoes

No way I’m swimming without goggles or riding without cleats, otherwise I guess a real minimalist could reduce it to 4 :thinking:

This is actually quite pertinent as I’m trying to work out what is my triathlon essentials kit to lug overseas.

1 Like

That you counted “3” twice… :wink:

1 Like

1=. Job
1=. Housing
1=. Family
4. ???

Is this not Maslows Hierarchy of Needs?

2 Likes