Kona 2021

Frodo to get a puncture with about 30k to go on the bike just to make it slightly more interesting?

Meh.

Did anyone else get the email from IM earlier about changes to the legacy program in 2024. Sounds like if you’ve missed a year out of 12 you are starting again, that’s how I’m reading it anyway?

Although it does contradict that towards the bottom. Either was I think I’m only at about 8 and can’t see me making it to 12!

No, I read it as you must have been doing IM for at least 12 years, and have done 12, but they don’t have to have been one a year…

2 Likes

It would be a bit harsh if they reset the clock on anyone not doing a race in 2020 given that all(?) the races in Europe were cancelled.

Agreed MC, that’s the way I read it, maybe to stop people with a few $$$ or €€€ entering 3 or 4 a year

2 Likes

Yes, that makes a bit more sense :thinking: and still had the 2 recent ones.

But you could have to keep doing them until you do get in if there’s a big list.

Ignoring the people who’ll say you didn’t actually qualify. They have separate results don’t they or category?

Another way of keeping the revenue stream running if you have to have raced the legacy year and the one previous to it once you get to the dozen completions.

1 Like

especially as it may take 2 or 3 years to get a legacy spot, and you can’t take the risk of not having a qualifying race, so they probably get at least 4 IMs out of you!

1 Like

The waiting list goes to 2024 event already, got more chance of out-living people* and going for the 75-79 AG

*actually that’s pretty unlikely

2 Likes

Unless you join our Lanzarote home for old age Trithletes

6 Likes

I counted that I’ve finished 9 full IM’s :thinking:

Not sure the body is up to another 5 or 6 by the time I reach the top of the list. Even on minimal get me round training.

Might get a spot in Hamburg :airplane::palm_tree::tropical_drink:

Could be 200 slots out there…

2 Likes

I’m still mentally scarred from that race :joy:

I need races with downstream swims to avoid the cutoff and requirement of training!

1 Like

Applied to defer my 2021 legacy slot, surprisingly offered either 2022 or 2023 (not both :rofl::rofl:), now in a funk as to whether to go 2023 when this sh&t should be properly over.

7 Likes

Will either years put you in a new to you age group?

1 Like

Ooh that’s interesting. I’d be tempted by 23 I think. More time for the world to adjust

4 Likes

I’ll be M55 both years, I age up next season.

One temptation for 2023 is it frees up 2022 to try and be a competitive AGer in the new AG. Other is I suspect travel will be a PITA during 2022.

9 Likes

And possibly even more expensive than normal due to demand

1 Like

Yep i’d be going for 23 if i were you. Have a good (hopefully) domestic season in 22 as events will still be trying to iron out the last 2 years of deferrals etc.

Then hopefully the world will have worked out how it’s going to cope with internationalism post Covid by 23. hopefully!

4 Likes