Kona 24

I was just thinking about it (whilst cleaning my teeth!).

There aren’t that many sports that do have a definitive World Championships. Athletics?

Most are accumulated points that I can think of.

1 Like

On the rules. I heard a nonsense story earlier this week about how football is from Scotland and not England. Utter bollox. Football within the UK was played all over the place with regional rules. Those public schools, even when they were actually public schools, would play the game with their local rules. When playing other schools they would agree on the rules before playing. Eventually they decided they should formalise the rules the way Rugby had. But the game was played in Europe and Central America at least, albeit with their own rules.

Triathlon is still in the early phases of its development and with the PTO, World Triathlon, Challenge and IM may end up all having one set of rules for middle and IM distance races???

1 Like

I have no idea why you are quoting this? that was a reply to Poet.

You’re free to leave to the discussion if you like but I’m staying because I don’t mind discourse, even when someone disagrees.

1 Like

The only reason I know this is because I lived in Godalming and did nearly my spine rehab at their health club but weren’t the rules for football ratified at Charterhouse School?

I don’t think there’s much to discuss, and we seem to be missing each other’s points so what’s the value in it?

Seems like a rational time to stop to me.

Because that’s what discussions are, we don’t have to agree but I’m always keen to hear what others have to say. (in the same way I don’t do binary politics) I like to hear all sides but that doesn’t stop me having an opinion.

It’s just different from yours, that’s all. No harm, no foul. :+1:

4 Likes

Had to resort to wikipedia, it seems that the first meeting of the FA was held at a freemasons meeting place and Chaterhouse were the only school represented. Apparently a ball kicking game has been played all over the world for millenia.

1 Like

I don’t think we have to agree either, this isn’t a strop - there’s just no point discussing when there is no ground to be given. We have opposing views, we disagree with each other on the reasons for those views…there’s nothing left but faff :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Possibly so and moving the WC wouldn’t reduce that for those that it is important for. I want to do IM France because it replaced the old Nice race which was for a period the biggest race from what I have heard.

2 Likes

Judging by the amount of cashed of Chinese kids going there, I don’t think they play on the football history that much!

Stunning playing fields and athletic track though.

1 Like

Regarding Kona vs IMWC…

Personally, I don’t think long distance triathlon needs Kona as the IMWC.

It’s just “some venue” the Corporation (not governing body) has selected, due to it being the venue of the first event (which itself, was only because some guy was stationed out there and probably a bit bored - what if he got stationed to Falklands? Would everyone be creaming their crackers to go race there?)

But, I do think it needs the history of Kona.

And for all of those who want to race Kona, there might be two/three parts to it;

1. It’s the World Champs
  2. It’s got the history
  3. to visit the island

Or, all three.

Therefore, the IMWC could be moved to anywhere to fulfil the desire for people to race the world champs.

Kona keeps going as a annual legacy/lottery cash cow race. Do you twelve races, get a slot. Win the lottery, get a slot. You know, just a normal race. That fulfils 2. And 3.

There. Fixed.

But, like I’ve said before, the best place for a WC would be Bolton. In October.
I’d love to see Brownlee implode on the run and be walking up Queens Park, at 4pm in the pitch black whilst drizzling :joy:

The could get Andy Gray in to commentate;

“They’ve done it in Kona, but can they do it on a cold, wet night in ̶S̶t̶o̶k̶e̶ Bolton”

8 Likes

Mike Lovato saying how wonderful it is to be in Tenby, England, how much the Queen loves watching IM while drinking Gatorade and no clue which athlete is on screen.

7 Likes

Haha, yeah that would be funny.

They’d not know where to book their flights to. Cardiff?! Where the hell is that? And then I have to drive until the motorway ends, and then keep going for another hour?!

5 Likes

Gregg nearly coming off his bike riding near that Welsh named place “Dangerslow”

5 Likes

Peryglaraf, surely :wink:

2 Likes

:rofl:

Except it wasn’t

2 Likes

Oh. Yeah!
Of course.
We’ve been brainwashed into believing.

Even more reason to move it.

Get the pitchforks out

Well that’s a sad reflection for the sport.

ETA: just like the re-pedalling of an ironwar that occurred before half the pro field were born. Surely we can build excitement with more than that.

I’m not saying history isn’t important.
But I think the future is more so.

I was going to mention Maui before

1 Like