Lakesman 2021

Yeah Ive been fortunate (well I’ve only done Outlaw - so fortunate thats on my doorstep) and have quite alot of support.
Idve easily just quit in 2017 when I started run. Just didnt want it - but amazing what family support can do.

Yeah Im not personally worried about Covid… and my thoughts on that may be even less as we get into May and June.

@Mungo2 think its just a bit lumpier than outlaw - tho hills are at the back end of the route

2 Likes

Looks good

Thank you.

And good luck!

1 Like

I know. I’m just being a tw@!!

@gingerbongo I think your summary was closer than Poets :grin:

2 Likes

I’m intrigued …

What’s superb, for cycling these days?

Cards on the table, what was your outlaw bike split?

Improved or fell to pieces since this?!

Let’s see the numbers?

Obviously if it’s not on strava… it never happened!

Lets be clear - I didn’t say I was superb :grin:. Poet is also enjoying mocking my IRL ability to compared to zwift.
Outlaw 2013 5:18 Follow Mike on Strava to see this activity. Join for free.
Outlaw 2017 5:27 Follow Mike on Strava to see this activity. Join for free.

Id say similar since. FTP up (on the turbo) - only just got power for outside so still learning. Think I’d still look for a 5:30 split and hope to be able to run/walk off it.

I’ll add neither runs have gone well. 2013 melted on Earths hottest day. 2017 been plagued by achilles so 1 longest run of 17 miles - ran on plan to halfway then fatigue started. Hoping that improves this year (ironically with a much much slower paced run training program).

3 Likes

Jesus!
I’ve gone quicker than that at Outlaw and you DESTROY ME on Zwift :scream::man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I go faster outside compared to indoor watts which look like a typo!

We are all different, if you can adapt those zwift watts for real …

A guy who I just beat in 2019 in a 70.3 went 10:15 at this race…?!

Looks like he smashed the bike and jog / ran the mara.

Impressive times, they don’t want spectators but a few of us are thinking about a long ride up there …

Lots of tri Preston doing this.

( it’s not real )

Whisper !

Just for some context… 2012 was my first olympic and half distance.
2013 was my first full…2017 was my second. Experienced - I aint!

My runs are what cost me - I’m happy with the bike splits. That 2013 felt perfect. Paced it perfect. Weirdly had cramp half way on the bike in 2017.

Zwift Ive just learnt to ride different - it also helps having a consistent inertia to work against. I’m sh1t out of corners and anything that requires change. Zwift just grind a bit more.

I deffo need to work on getting my watts sorted outdoor. Got some things to try on that.

2 Likes

Noice :raised_hands:t2::clap:t3:

That’s good work :muscle:t3:

Here’s my “context”

I did Forestman (and my first 70.3) 2008 (first IM, injured my hip, hopped the marathon in six hours. Disable myself for two weeks - after that I couldn’t walk properly for a month or so, used that time to get my swim time down from 90mins to 65mins)
Came back in 2009 - came 4th. Good swim, bike and run. Probably my best IM?

Outlaw 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Hour-ish swim, 5hr 20-25mins bike, 3hr 40-50mins “run”
Just didn’t get the quickest bike and runs on the same years :rofl:
Never felt like I had a good race there, :man_shrugging:t4:

Sprint Worlds September 2013.
Quit after that.

No swimming or cycling (single speed around Manchester) for 5 years. Went from 70kg to ~95kg.

Picked it back up in May 2018.
Lost ~20kg from then to June 2019.

HM PB of 1:20:41 in March 2019.
70.3 PB in June 2019.

2020 total wipeout - apart from one special week;
50k ride, 100k ride, 263km ride, 100k ride, 161km ride.
Took that weekend off :rofl::see_no_evil:

2021???

2 Likes

I still can’t get my head around riding for 5.5 hours at 34kph! I’ve never even managed that for a half (i’ve only done one, granted). Not even sure i did for my 2 x olys either!!

2013 was just effortless. Perfectly still day, bit warm towards the end. Only issue I had was my feet swelling inside my shoes a bit too much.
Didnt once chase the pace - thats just what it was. Every lap split was above 32kmph avg except for the “hill” and that only just dipped under.

1 Like

Ha ha ha :rofl::see_no_evil:
I did a 100 miler once and had to stop to remove my booties, shoes, and socks and then struggled to get my feet back into the shoe.

They were bloody huge I tell thee!

(ETA: Was proper annoyed my pace dropped below 36kmh due to stopping to do that - just for @gingerbongo )

Since then, I’ve bought a summer pair of shoes, which are more accommodating. :muscle:t3::+1:t3:

2 Likes

Yeah yeah, rub it in why don’t you! :rofl:

Come down and race me for 400m on a running track instead … then i may actually have a chance at winning!! :rofl: :rofl:

That’s good going though. I’ll have another crack at an IM in the next couple of years. Might wait for mini #2 to start school first. Not sure if i’d want a hilly or a flat race though. Anyway … this is all off topic.

1 Like

oh I could definitely beat you on my bike if you running around a track :grin:

2 Likes

You know you have to steer around a running track, right?

They’re not banked :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

@gingerbongo thanks for the 2013 kudos - strava was dead popular back then wasnt it (well for me) :rofl:
2 Kudos for an ironman… can get about 100 now putting the bins out if I record it.

7 Likes

Keeping the standards high :wink:

Yes been to the lake once, and a couple of swim sessions in the pool.
Training generally has been ok, will aim for a few (3 or 4) longer bike rides through May and that should be “sufficient”.

Being optimistic I am hoping that things are more relaxed by then and they are just sticking to the roadmap dates because it is easier than changing them

2 Likes

haha - i did wonder why i clicked it. Part muscle memory kicking in and part genuine, as it was a good ride!! :rofl: