Think there were a few of us doing this from TriTalk 1.0 (TC, Grobbo).
16th June 2019, not long now
The swim is looking a bit problematic (from Lakesman FB page)
Dear athletes, we are aware of the unfortunate situation regarding swims being cancelled and blue green algae being present in Derwentwater. There have been visible patches of blue green algae throughout the winter in isolated areas of the lake, and as temperatures have increased the areas have gone into bloom.
When the environment agency is notified, they do not automatically test the water. They simply notify the land owners who in turn put the signs up saying no swimming. Blue green algae can and is present in most water courses, its only when it begins to break down that it can be hazardous. Even then it is dependant on whether the specific species present is toxic, as not all are. The EA do not test for specific species as part of their program. They also do not test specific swim routes, just the areas reported to be in bloom.
As a precaution to this we are carrying out full analysis of the lake waters in early June in line with [British Triathlon] guidelines. This will be done in conjunction with [Swim Safety] our official water safety partner for the 2019 races. We are following the new event organisers guidance document SH2OUT if anyone wants to read more on the subject.
Following the results or our laboratory testing we will act accordingly, but are fairly hopeful that we be able to go ahead as planned with our swim portions of [The Lakesman] at this time.
Still no word on the swim as far as I know, water was being testing last Thursday (6th) so fingers crossed we hear soon.
Next problem is the weather! Swim will likely be colder (if it goes ahead) and likely to get wet on the bike. Any top tips for staying warm on the bike? I’m sure I read on here about the use of a rash vest underneath tri top for staying warm (and wet)…good idea?
I’m now doubtful due to a nasty sinus infection though the antibiotics are starting to kick in after emergency visit to the docs on Saturday. Pretty frustrating!
I was also wondering about bike and coldness, previous two Ironman races were in very hot conditions so this is a new challenge.
Sorry to hear about your illness…hopefully a dramatic recovery before the weekend will see you make the start line.
My last two IMs have been hot and dry, so not really geared up for wet and windy racing. I have my usual training gear but not it’s exactly aero and gets sweaty quite quickly. Will be taking overshoes and gloves at least!
We are camping Fri/Sat so probably start off soggy anyway
EDIT: the wind direction looks good for a mild tail wind along the coast, but plenty of time for that to change!
Cheers. I’m a weak swimmer and went 1.32 in Maastricht albeit non wetsuit. I’ve been going through 3.8k in around 1.20 in training though so that’s my target.
Not moved from my bed/chair since Thursday so I’ll be well rested if I do get there! Have Thursday as decision day when I’ll hopefully go out, jog, short spin and decide whether to travel up.