LCB Race Team

No but £10,000 would get you a bike that will last 5 years.
If you were coached by LCB through the life of said bike, it would cost you £54,000.

2 Likes

I would much prefer to pay for his premium package with him and Julie Dibbens coaching me than LCB (or Reece). Good luck to her though, I’m sure some will be tempted by the perceived pretige it wil bring. I do like the look of the high end Endura kit.

Started reading this and had to sit down…quick…!

Would you go faster… of course you would.

Would £900 per month spent on coaching ( from a mere mortal, probably local with a proven track record who actually knows you and how you tick) weekly massage, personal training, optimising diet and equpt make you faster for less cash…

You know the answer to that one.

They come across as nice people, as others have said … Good luck to them !

1 Like

Nail on the head. Yes you will get improvements, but 900 pounds of improvement every month? Not likely. Anyone that serious about the sport is probably already well trained and engaged so it’s unlikely there would be a huge improvement.

2 Likes

In fairness it’s probably a decent £200 training package with a £700 premium to willy wave and pretend you’re in a real pro race team.

1 Like

We’re do I sign …!

Team kit…

Oh I do love me some team kit !

#overachiever

If you have a few hundred grand in the bank, and we’re looking to tackle an Ironman or two in 2021-2022 to fulfil some later-life ambitions, and on top of that you can help finance a UK based athlete in a sport you love … why not?

If I was minted, and not already someone who has scratched that itch, then I wouldn’t rule myself out.

2 Likes

If there’s really a market for such a thing, what a great money laundering business, impossible for anyone to validate the clients are real, virtual payments from anywhere in the world.

Would also a good legit way to pay for doping products that you couldn’t normally invoice for.

But of course, I’m sure there’s also many legitimate clients of course, and a good way for a pro in what is a very niche sport to make enough to make it worth racing.

8 Likes

That is the sign of a decent coach.

1 Like

Most certainly. Any coach who thinks they’ve learnt everything they will ever need to is not a good coach.

Same goes for managers.

3 Likes

The Dunning Kruger effect

1 Like

My mate in Lausanne says he pays 130 Swiss Francs per week to get his smallish apartment cleaned. That’s about 110 quid if my maths is right.

So where does coach sit on the value curve for improved performance?

Has anyone done a study on £/min for an ironman on various kit, training and expertise?

It’s a tough one to judge isn’t it. Especially in triathlon where course, conditions, etc are so varied.

My coach is a tri coach, but has more of a running focus than some others. On the run, it’s a little easier to see how things have developed, as times are a bit more directly comparable. In that regard, my running came on leaps and bounds, especially at the longer stuff. 2013-2017 I was self coached. 2018-2019 I was coached (2018 was a year of pretty much sole tri focus).

At the shorter stuff, I think natural ability is a bit more evident just by doing some running. I’ve still seen decent improvement at 10k and HM though. At the longer stuff, especially the marathon, his guidance has been game changing.

2 Likes

For me, this is always the criteria for selecting a coach. It doesn’t matter how many athletes they got to Kona or whatever because you don’t know how close those folks were before engaging the coach.

IMO, looking at the improved performances over a range of athletes in the last year (for example) will give you better understanding of the coach’s qualities.

That’s a tough one though, unless you truly know quite a lot about the people they’ve coached … what their background was, available training time, their compliance to the sessions set, etc. That said, word of mouth was certainly something I used to factor into my decision, plus an initial hour+ meet and greet 1:1 introductory get together.

There’s also a personal side to coaching, where some people just work well together, and for someone else it’s just not a good fit.

1 Like

both very important in setting expectations and understanding…

1 Like

I will add give me any novice and I’ll make them considerably faster just by getting them training regularly and consistently. Have enough novices saying how great you are becasue they finished an IM and you look good, but its the easy option. IMJ special “X” looks like a good coach but he could be just churning out the same plan to everyone. I know a coach who does just that, has about 20 athletes paying him good money and at best he might switch mondays and wednesdays around to fit a lifestyle but essentially its a cut and paste. But hes got 100 people to an IM finish so must be a great coach! funny how he has a short lifespan with athletes, they last 3 years at most and move on but hes got more novices through the club who have heard how he got so may to finish IMUK.
Take an experienced athlete on though you can be a great coach but in the first year not make any inroads because you need to find out more about them or just life experiences get in the way, especially if they expect Kona or other lofty goals that arent all based on a Training Peaks metric.

4 Likes

This was in part what has stopped me, knowing it’s a minimum 2 year investment for what is ‘just’ as hobby.

Maybe one day

1 Like