Lights for aero cockpit

Oh indeed. I bought a Canyon with an SLX frameset…and mechanical!

I haven’t even tried a bike with electronic shifting, and it’s 2020 :tipping_hand_man:

1 Like

@mw22 - Have a look at this:

Yeah sunny Long Eaton. I like Stanton by Dale and over Risley. But commute is over the River to Ruddington - so got country lanes whichever way I come in. Spondon and Ockbrook feature on pretty much every ride.
I also like lights tho - cant have enough :blush:

Will have a gander at the pitstop stuff - suprised theres so little actual products out.

1 Like

It’s a proper bodge (not a hack :wink: ) - you are basically buying a can of PitStop for the little velcro strap and rubber frame holder that comes with it.
But, the Leyzne (sp?) blog says to just take the cradle off and fit the light flat…so looks like you might be okay?
Might go have a test with mine on my TT bars now…

Oval carbon bars have been around for a few years on the mass market; why haven’t the big light manufacturers solved this issue properly yet!

Yeah I didnt understand the cradle reference - so if you can do me an idiots guide :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah - ignore that bit…just tried on my TT bars and the 500XL fits nicely, your photo looks like it’ll fit on those, too :+1:t3:

I swear when I tried this, I had a curved mount inside the strap so it didnt sit anywhere near as flush as that. But all the images on google don’t seem to show.
Will check my mounts when I get home!! Or annoy the wife to go check now - coz its bugging me.

Yeah, the mount is slightly curved, but it flattens under tension.

I can only think it’s that they’re still quiet niche in terms of using lights.
Tend to be on “best” bikes used in good weather and daylight rather than commuting where the majority of the need for lights comes from.

1 Like

Those oval bars are not super comfy.
I had a pair but had to get rid of them, as I didn’t like the fact I couldn’t grip the bar in my “Death Claw” whilst climbing.
They dig in to your palms whilst climbing and it just plain hurts after 15-20 minutes of going uphill.

A bit left field but could you use the exposure helmet mount and point the light down a bit?

Well bu66er me - this was not how I remembered the mount in my head… (to be clear NOT my hands!!)

Thanks for that @Poet. At least gives me options for running 2 lights and I’ll see what else Lezyne do with a bit more oomph.

3 Likes

No worries :+1:t3:
I really like the Lezyne lights, as they’re easy to fit, charge and are widely available and most importantly - have rubber band and cradle spares widely available too!

Another option might be a bit of Suguru to take up any bump? You could leave it on in winter and take off in spring?

Yeah same - I’ve got a shed load of Lezyne for the front and Moon on the back. Never had a single failure, tho did manage to wear the button out on one of the micro ones a while back. But it had years of abuse on the commuter. Still works mind.

I was just surprised that we had another regular female contributor I wasn’t aware of!

2 Likes

Just don’t grip with your thumb? The same way I used to have my hands when doing bench press … the thumb is next to the index finger. That way the palms are just resting on top, and if anything it is more comfortable as there’s a bigger surface area

1 Like

But then how do you literally tighten your grip over your clubmates on the ascents :wink:

Pretty sure my alloy bars are bent in the middle from me gripping them so damn tightly.
(although, I failed to complete two push-ups last night, so I very much doubt that)

Ive never ridden with my thumbs under bar, even back when I had round bars. Maybe sometimes without thinking about in a tight crit but never knowingly done it.

1 Like