Long Rides

Hammerer is right, 4h for a FOP AGer or Pro, is the equivalent of 5+ hours for most people.

I can say it until everyone including me gets bored: it depends on your goals.

What I don’t like about the viewpoint is that the rest of the family don’t have their own things to be getting on with whilst you’re out riding or golfing, or at the heritage lentil weaving centre.

1 Like

So your TR plan has you doing 12 rides of 3.5h+; that’s way more than most of us here do, and yet you’re the one questioning the value of long rides. Does this mean you’re questioning the plan?

I do notice a pattern of you asking for advice here, then generally ignoring all of it and then coming up with your own view of the world. That’s fine, but it will make people less likely to get into discussions with you. It makes you look like a Kite dancing in the wind Mr Bond :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if that’s a criticism of me for the mistaken belief that I don’t think a partner has other things to do, or supporting my view. But whatever, that’s precisely correct. In the example of my mate who plays golf, one of his wedding vows was actually along the lines of “I promise to give you space to do all your own things you love” with a jokey comment that golf facilitated that.

And my gf is as big an advocate of having her space and time to do her own exercise stuff, and meet friends, as I am for tri training. She’s even said she likes the time I spend on the turbo as it gives her the chance to practice piano

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but balancing hobbies vs. time spent in a relationship and balancing hobbies vs. time spent managing a (young and not yet independent) family are completely different things. I have no experience of what life with older children is like, so can’t comment.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree. Hence giving examples of friends I have with children where one, or both, of the partners has time consuming hobbies.

My simple point was not that Poet was wrong in his views about his own priorities. Simply that he shouldn’t project those onto every other relationship and say his way was the appropriate way, otherwise people are selfish or hate their family. He’s said that was tongue in cheek, so case closed.

my kids are all grown up, and have left the nest… its a lot easier.

Its even easier when your OH is training for a marathon, and wants to get out for long runs… only conflict then is when the weather is shite, and you both want the treadmill!

2 Likes

I’m not asking for advice, as I have stated and restated the point of the thread many times, I can only conclude that you and others have some other agenda…I don’t expect your advice Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!

I don’t know what phase of the moon is at tritalk central this week, are you all on the blob or something?

It’s just fucking chat about long rides!

6 Likes

Had a quick look at that ST thread. Funny that even a 3 time KQ can get their knickers in a twist.

I think like everything there are many approaches to long rides.
I like one posters point about getting their longest rides in the bank early in their build. But it’s horses for courses isn’t it

But that Mpro who’s only ridden for a max of 2.5 hours shows you can get away with it but he must be coming from a massive base, engine and years of Ironman racing at the highest level.

1 Like

It probably makes a difference what your and your partner’s work situation is. I don’t see my children much Monday to Thursday and feel guilty enough about that. If I missed practically all of Sunday too it wouldn’t go down well. Up to 2 hours out the house Sat/Sun has become acceptable and it helps my wife does the same (running/Tri related).

I don’t get how some people get away with spending a small fortune and practically ever Saturday at the footy.

I seem to be using this response on more and more threads at the moment.

How about:

Everyone is different, and there is no single answer. If there was, then life would be rather boring indeed. Find the balance that works for you. Yes you may give away 5% of your potential, or get into a sticky situation with your partner, but ultimately life is about compromise and balance. Rarely does anyone get it perfect!

(but that view doesn’t sell forum inches, so it’s not as fun … i’m assuming that’s how @Hammerer is funding his nest egg right?! :wink: )

4 Likes

You have asked a question, to which you’ve received the usual replies… ‘it depends’ and there are no shortcuts.

Where you see good results off low volume, that person generally has a long history of building their engine over the years.

Same as an endurance hobby, time wise, it’s just crammed into one day.
Arsenal’s cheapest season ticket is £900, which is £500 more than Bournemouth’s.
You may drink and travel there, but you’re going to do that at a weekend anyhow, so it’s neither here nor there.
My gym membership is £400 per year, club memberships are £150 per annum.
So that’s already a Bournemouth season ticket.

Pretty much exactly what I was trying to say originally!

2 Likes

Let’s be honest, doing an Ironman is the same or more than a decent season ticket, especially if it’s abroad. We could argue the why’s and wherefores. I personally try to fit almost everything in and around work, the weekend session is early o’clock. I don’t get the impression there are people here that take the pi$$ in their given circumstances :slightly_smiling_face:

The positive of an active hobby, is hopefully the health benefit…and being able to eat cake guilt free :smile::rofl:

3 Likes

and being a total badman obvs

1 Like

because I take El Niño :wink: and its 19 times a year only a few hours total each time and my ST costs £600 so not much more than a race

2 Likes

my problem is I’m too honest to make money as a swim4smoothness triaffffalon coach, I dont sell the latest swim fad or bullshit that i can get you a 5k pb in 4 weeks (unless you’ve no run background). I need to be more like the IMJ coaches :wink:

2 Likes

Yes - I guess if you take the kids with you then it becomes the family activity. Hard to do that with a 6 hour bike ride.

1 Like