Manchester Marathon moved

From April 2021 to October 2021

We realise that we contacted you not long ago about our previous postponement. At that time, the signs were very positive that April was the best option for everybody, and we started the considerable planning to put the infrastructure in place.

However, whilst working with our trusted stakeholders and as further time passed it became apparent that there was an increasing lack of certainty for us to confidently deliver various essentials needed for the Marathon this early in 2021.

This is of course due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the often-changing restrictions in place. As we approach a time when we must invest your money from entry fees into the huge amount of costs that are essential to a major marathon, we felt it would be irresponsible to continue when we feel October gives us a better chance of doing the event justice in 2021.

EDIT - forgot about the covid canx thread. please merge

5 Likes

Haha I thought you were going to say it’s now taking place in Hemel Hempstead

4 Likes

To be fair, it was previously called the Manchester Marathon, with the vast majority of it being held in Salford and Trafford.
Only this year was it moved to actually come into Manchester.

It used to go through the city centre, then didn’t run at all for 10 years. Only since the return has it not come into the city but they had changed it back now, even if it is only a little jaunt into the centre.

1 Like

I didn’t realise about the early routes until I just looked to varify what I was saying was actually true :rofl:

The first marathon in the Manchester area was run in 1908 and started and finished at the Saracen’s Head pub in Warburton, although at this point the run was 20 miles (32 km) only. The first marathon to be run over 26 miles and 385 yards was the race in 1909, it started in Sandbach and finished at the Fallowfield Stadium in Manchester. A marathon has been run along various routes in the Manchester area intermittently throughout the years with various start and finish points. Until 2012, the last marathon to be held in the city was in 2002

1 Like

That’d be the Commonwealth games marathon, yes?

There was a Commonwealth Games marathon (Ozzy women went 123 in it) but there was also a public one too. I’ve no idea why they pulled it.

They also pulled Salford Triathlon for a few years before bringing it back. That used to bike into the city centre. Now it is just shitty laps of the Quays & industrial estate.

1 Like

I did Salford the last time it was an ITU race (2007 IIRC), by then it was not going into the city centre so short laps round the quays, but better than the current short bike lap past the sewage works and back over the footbridge.

1 Like

Yep, 100’s pf competitors on the bike course, 6 laps and no overtaking on the bridge :see_no_evil:

Plus the dead turns and roundabouts make for a pretty hairy course, I’ve seen plenty of crashes both times I’ve done it.